• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

RatherBeFishin

Hunting Scopes !

RatherBeFishin

Looking to buy a new scope for this year. I have had a bushnell elite 3200 , 3-9*40mm for about 13 years now and it has done me well. However now looking to upgrade. Looking for any opinions or advice on good scopes. Just for moose / deer hunting. I was watching a cow this year at 218 yards with about 45 min of legal shooting left and it took a long time to id correctly that it was infact a cow and not a spiker bull or yearling. I am not looking to shoot farther then 250 max but am wondering if something with more of a zoom then 9 power may be better suited just for id'ing at farther distances ? And or for sighting in ? 

Thinking 30mm tube as it would collect more light ? And a 40mm objective. Just not sure of power or scope brand. Have been researching like mad and loosing my marbles. Lol. I think warranty like vortex has would be ideal. Not sure if others have this warranty ? Anywhom. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend around $1000-$1500

Thanks !

Dave D 

hunt or be hunted

Leupold !!!! Lol sorry I've pro on their scopes as that's what I shoot, I've used many other brands but nothing I've seen has compared to their hunting line unless u wanna get into competive scopes then it's a whole different ball game, I have the V2 and VX6 both amazing, the VX6 is very clear and powerful, last year in the deer stand on full zoom looking at a deer at my neighboures feeder at little under 220 yards I could clearly see the does eyelids opening and closing if that gives u an idea of clarity 15min before cut off time to shoot! Just my 2 cents ! 

RatherBeFishin

2 cents is what im looking for. Thanks for info. I appreciate it !! Keep em coming ppl 😬

Also. I have been looking at vx-6 and really like it. But its $1899 wish it would go down to $1500 and i wouldnt even think twice !! Awesome looking scope. 

Hmmmmm

dano

you should plan on buying some good binos for looking/glassing as even the best scopes don't work well for glassing. i don't think a  30mm tube would be beneficial to you. a 30mm tube will have more room for adjustment but wont necessarily be any brighter. There really isnt any bad brands anymore. I like fixed powers (4x and 6x) and have never thought i needed more magnification for shooting and hunting at normal hunting distances. thats my own preference though. 3-9, 3.5-10 , 4-12 all would be fine. whatever you settle on make sure you get it mounted properly, and take it to the range and run a box of ammo or two through the rifle to make sure the scope works. if a new scope is going to act up it'll probably  be within the first few shots. Ive had to return a  top end scope that wasn't cheap to buy before i had a chance to use it. New scopes can be faulty 

Buck 120

I have been very impressed with my Vortex Viper.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Hurketthunter

I'm going to throw in my vote for leupold here. I've been using them for years with no issues at all and the quality is great. However I'm going to second the recommendation for some good binoculars. I've seen a lot of guys scanning country with rifle scopes over the years but it's bad practice. Something to consider is if there is possibly a person in the area your glassing.  If there is your now pointing a rifle at them.

Hurketthunter 

RatherBeFishin

Well. Problem solved ! Just purchased a leupold vx-6 in 2-12 by 42mm with a duplex reticle ! Cant wait to test this baby out !!!! 

RatherBeFishin

Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated :)