• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
naden

Recommended Roofers

naden

Anyone have a roofer they would recommend to either redo or repair my roof. My roof was done in 2009 but I always have leaks from ice damming, thanks for your help!

Chris

Kayaker

If you have problems with ice its not a shingle problem. Check attic for proper air flow and insulation. New shingles will not solve your issue.

Jack Fish

.....and if you can't solve it in the attic, you can put electric heating cable on the eaves. CTC sells for $50 for 30'(which might cover 10 running ') 

levi64

I used Tilka  for my siding, sofit, drains, roof, etc.. Nothing but good things to say about them, professional job didn't cut any corners,on time everyday and worked all day, reasonable price too.  With the ice damming you may have too much insulation stuffed into the end of your eves no air circulation, just pull some out if that is the case. The heating cables do work well also.

fishingfinn

Shingles should be good still, like others said, a ventilation problem could be the root cause of ice damming.  Your problem could be solved by removing  the shingles, and installing ice and water membrane over the entire roof, or a similar membranes.  But thats gonna be $$$.  Chances are you only have 1 row of ice and water membrane or tar paper at the eave (which doesn't even meet building code by the way)  If you had some leaks from the recent ice storm, join the club  There was leaks all over town.  I have a brand new roof, and it leaked....and it's not a ventilation problem either.

By the way, I've been in the exterior finishing/roofing industry for 10+ years.  Send me a PM if you want and I can even take a look and make some recommendations

Some Old Guy

That sounds like a vapour barrier/ insulation issue. Your warm air from in your house is escaping and meeting up with cold air creating ice dams and ice. 

Check thst hst out also. 

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

naden

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! You guys are bang on with the lack of ventilation and insulation causing the ice dams. Unfortunately my house is a 1 1/2 storey with an addition on the front and the back. I have 5 separate attic spaces and only 3 of them have access points. The addition on the front of the house creates 2 large valleys that hold a lot of snow, above the valleys is the eve for a dormer window which drips water into the valleys when the snow melts. The addition on the back doesn't have much of a slope so it holds a lot of snow as well. When snow melts on the original roof line it runs down into the valley between the original roof and the addition. Normally all it takes to prevent any damming in the winter is to use a roof rake on the eves but I couldnt keep up with the snow and ice during the last storm we had. 

The valleys, gutters and eves originally had heat trace cable but I found that the cables couldnt keep up with the amount of snow and ice that builds up in the valleys.