• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
huronfly

nipigon river tactics

huronfly

Hey everyone, my first post here... I'll be heading Nipigon and camping and fishing the area below pine portage dam at the end of May and was hoping some of you might help me out, so I have a few questions...

What type of line is ideal?(I have intermediate, type 6 sink tip, full sink type 6, spey heads and tips)

I'll definitely be bringing my SH 8 weight, but would a switch rod setup also come in handy?

I have a pile of leech, baitfish, sculpins, and muddlers tied, recommend anything else?

Just swing the fly or twitch/jig it?

Does anyone fish the river from a boat using an indicator/dead drift techniques?

I appreciate any input you guys/gals might have!

Dan

brookiebuster

Watch the new fly fisher on YouTube there's a few in depth videos on fishing the nipigon. Defiantly bring the switch they come in handy. I usually swing with a heavy sink tip and a heavily weighted fly. Remember nipigon brookies are big so they eat big. Size 4-1/0 are what I use. Sculpins, smelt patterns, strip leeches all work. You may run into the odd hatch where you can get some on the surface but most will be caught on meat. Nice lake trout around there too. I've heard but not personally seen people catch big brookies skating a mouse pattern as well.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

huronfly

Thanks for the tips brookie. How do you find casting your switch or spey from the boat? Is a 13' spey too big and cumbersome for boat fishing? I also tied up some Morrish mice, so I'm looking forward to trying to entice some surface strikes!

brookiebuster

With some practice it's not too bad. There's a few spots to shore fish aswell but most of the river you need a boat because the shore line is too sketchy.

brookiebuster
On 5/10/2020 at 1:46 AM, Russ said:

@brookiebuster Do you know where abouts i would be bale to shore fish any info helps:)

Below Alexander dam, down the pipeline before Alexander dam,below the highway and there’s some trails below the upper dams to decent water.

• Like 3