• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red_Nuck

Suckers

Red_Nuck

Anyone know if the suckers are in the creeks yet? Whitefish lake area in particular...

Amia Calva

I was just about to ask this lol.

Didn't see any by the golf course on the McIntyre yesterday, I'll try it again tomorrow, and I hope to check out the mouth of the Current River on Saturday. I'll let you know what I find. I'm hoping to get a longnose sucker for my bucket-list (they have finer scales than white suckers and their mouths are further from their snout)

TroutHunter

none that i have caught or spotted in the Mac as of today (others may have caught some)... been out there the last few days

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Zackcorbin1401

Caught a big sucker in mac.

gsambray

Whitefish area creeks are full of suckers. Brought my neice down to play with them. That kid can sure handle a fis

Zackcorbin1401
57 minutes ago, therealfndeal said:

Lots at black sturgeon river 

Last week got one every cast river was loaded with them.

Amia Calva

Got one in the McIntyre today, was a hefty white sucker. He was alone though.

Will hopefully get a longnose sucker tomorrow.

Amia Calva

Bottom bouncing a worm works pretty good for me. If you use a slinky rig, you can even fish the rapids without getting snagged too often (In the McIntyre at least). Slinky rig is just ball bearings in a shoelace. The ball bearings can move around inside the shoelace so when catch a rock you can work them free. Hooks can still snag and slinky rigs don't work very well in areas with large boulders and fast water.

Not sure what other people use to catch them, I'm sure roe works.

fisherdude

You can get them on roe.

Castnblast

Honest question...

Why do you want to catch a sucker?

Long nose, or any other?

Would you release or eat it?

Red_Nuck

Yeah, is say there's a few running right meow....

They're really tasty ground up in fish cakes (just add bread crumbs, eggs, onions and spices, then fry in pan). I cleaned them like wallys but left the pin bones in and ran them through my grinder twice, no bones detected.

20170512_173315.jpg

• Like 1

Castnblast
On May 13, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Amia Calva said:

Well I want to catch a longnose because I am trying to catch every species of fish in Ontario, and I haven't caught a longnose yet. (just the ones that can be caught on a rod and reel, I cannot see myself trying to catch any minnows, although there are people who fish for minnows). I do this because I love fish biology and really enjoy researching the different types of fish, their life histories and identifying them. It also provides a fun challenge to try and catch new things and explore new fishing locations.

This all started when I destroyed my shoulder and couldn't play sports anymore. So, I needed a new hobby, and I really liked fishing. My dad always told stories about a weird "dogfish" he caught as a kid, and I wanted to see what they look like. So I researched them, found a few spots around my house where they could be found, what people catch them on etc. Then I went to try and catch one and it was a blast! So, I expanded that to other species like carp, catfish, bass. Now the longnose sucker is the fish I haven't caught at this time of year, and they are not anywhere around my house back home, so this is the best shot I have at catching one.

As for why would you want to catch suckers in general, they are abundant, easy to catch, put up a decent fight, and taste pretty good (bones are a little annoying). I don't tend to keep many of them. I only end up keeping the smaller ones because I deep fry them to remove the bones, but the bones in larger ones don't crisp up as well. Apparently you can also pickle or can suckers, but I don't have the fancy equipment to try stuff like that.

Anyway, hope this is a good response, feel free to think I'm crazy. This is something I find fun, and I will keep doing it so long as it stays fun.

Great reply, a worthy goal and thanks for the insight.

speckmaster

Cool pic red nuck

AB

Little caddis nymphs work great for many different species of sucker.

Green works better than brown. Fish them under a float or indicator nymph with them. With a dead drift, suckers can't resist a tasty snack and neither will any trout in the vicinity either.

Good Luck on your quest!

AB

Red_Nuck

Haha, just remembered a guy I used to work with called suckers "whistle trout"

• Like 1

eyelander

or "Bugle Mouth Bass".

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

mad scientist
On 5/11/2017 at 6:22 PM, Amia Calva said:

I hope to check out the mouth of the Current River on Saturday. I'll let you know what I find. I'm hoping to get a longnose sucker for my bucket-list 

Couldn't tell you if they're running, but the mouth of the Current gets a huge number of longnose in the spring.  If you can't get one there, you're not likely to get one anywhere.

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

BIG SMOKE

My boss was saying that they are running thick up in the Whitefish area. 

brookiebuster

All the creeks east of town are loaded with them.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

AmateurHourAngling

Any running in town?

-JADEN