• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Jelly Belly

Salmon 2017

Jelly Belly

Last night picked up two. Dipsys seemed to be main choice pulling purple nk spoons. 

IMG_2155.jpg

jonut13

Went to black bay today,  Zero.  Not even a knock off.  The lake was pretty rough though so we didn't venture too far.

pastor norm

jonut13... I was out there too on Sunday morning. One nice laker released.  One solid hit and run before spitting out the lure. I had a spread of spoons in various colours, with the laker caught on a green and gold flasher with a blue and green hoochie.  I will try again mid week a little deeper in Black Bay.  It did get a little choppy, didn't it?  *grins* 

pastor norm

Jellybelly... jealous. :) 

Jelly Belly

In front of the pic has been extremely well this year then it has been in along long time. There are some nice salmon being caught. Another boat out tonight picked up a 16 pounder. I got one hit and was lucky to pull in this 9.6 

Resized_20170626_212717.jpg

Python
On 6/16/2017 at 9:41 PM, pastor norm said:

I saw a couple of salmon trollers in front of breakwater... no one reporting?

I will go tomorrow and will report....

I've spent quite a few hours the past week by the welcome islands. Temperature is cold, surface was 55-56F on the weekend. 53 yesterday evening. 

Just got a few lake trout, no salmon. Green and Dark Purple spoons.

When people goto blackbay and launch at Hurkett, do you go way out to the mouth of the bay (close to silver islet) or stay closer into hurkett.. only been out there once and want to head there again soon to give it a try.  Just trying to get a feel on how to fish this area. 

Thanks

pastor norm

Python. You don't have to launch in Hurkett.  That would be a long run in unproductive water.  You can launch in Pearl and you can launch from Squaw Bay Road south of Pass Lake (free) or Silver Islet ($5).  The latter two launches are a little rough but manageable with a few spots to park.  PM me if you need more directions.  I have had no luck salmon fishing so far this year.  I will be changing my luck soon. 

Python
2 minutes ago, pastor norm said:

Python. You don't have to launch in Hurkett.  That would be a long run in unproductive water.  You can launch in Pearl and you can launch from Squaw Bay Road south of Pass Lake (free) or Silver Islet ($5).  The latter two launches are a little rough but manageable with a few spots to park.  PM me if you need more directions.  I have had no luck salmon fishing so far this year.  I will be changing my luck soon. 

Thank you for that! That was probably mistake #1 when i first and last went to Black Bay. Looking at Google Maps i see the launch pad off Squaw Bay Road.From there is it more popular to head out of the bay towards the mouth and islands (Google Maps calls it 'Grey Island') or stick more along the West shoreline heading towards silver islet.  

I haven't had any luck as well, but haven't gone too far, just the welcome islands as its quick and easy to get to in a evening or morning.  Last year i produced a few Salmon off the islands but that was later July and early August when i caught them.  The water is very cold still.

Thank you for the response, very much appreciated as i want to give Black Bay a try in the near future.

pastor norm

Look for 70 feet of water and keep your cannon balls less than 30 feet (apparently).

Gray Island to Edward Island to Cranberry Island.  My best luck (in the past)

in the past has been around Cranberry.  I also troll straight down Montreal Channel

towards Silver Islet.  Just look for bait balls and haystacks.  I have caught some beauties

in the channels between islands off Silver Islet.  Just watch out for reefs. 

pastor norm

Go slow with your prop up as you head out from the Squaw Bay launch.

Go left of the little island.  I have no idea what the draft or size of your boat. 

The water isn't very clear near shore so mind yourself.  Let us know how you do. 

Python

Thanks for the info!

I have a 20' Legend.

After hearing that about the launch i'm thinking silver islet would be better now for my boats sake :) lol

When i make it out there i'll let everyone know how i make out.. thinking of pulling the trigger on a second downrigger (digitroll 5) to make my life easier of testing different depths/lure before i make an adventure out that way.

pastor norm

You should be okay at Squaw Bay.  There's 4-5 ft of water to the left of the island.

The launch at Silver Islet isn't pretty either but most of it is concrete and it has 

a dock.  The boat launch near Pearl is a deep concrete one, though the approach

is curved for some reason.  Take 5 Rd S at Pearl which turns into Lakeshore Drive.

About 3.5 miles (my guess) down the road turn left and cross Grann Road to get to the launch. 

(the Google Map itself doesn't show the approach to launch or the parking lot

but the satellite view will clearly show it).  

eyelander

Just go slow out of Squaw Bay without any wind to learn your path. My bud owned a 20 ft. Crestliner Great Lakes Sabre with a cuddy cabin and we had no problem going in and out of there once we had a track plot on my GPS.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Zackcorbin1401

Has anyone fished just outside the break wall launching at current river I have a 14ft boat and don't fee like adventuring very far out even on a calm day.

Newfisher

Hey folks. Got quite intrigued by this form and this thread in particular. I've been in Thunder Bay for the last three years and am having a heck of a time finding some good fishing. Maybe it's time of day or bait but it's been disappointing to say the least. Been onto sandstone, iron range, whitefish, prelette all with little luck. Been thinking of venturing onto the big lake. I have a newer 16' Lund. Is this even big enough?  Went up to black bay and put in at Hurkette. Once we left the bay it was pretty darn choppy. Ended up turning around and heading back into Hurkette bay having my 2.5 year old with me, I wasn't gonna stay out in that water for very long. 

Reading through this thread I've been searching for a few spots mentioned here. Such as Squaw bay Rd, the only one I can find is at FT William, long way from black bay.  Found silver islet and the launch at pearl  it I have a feeling the squaw bay Rd ppl have mentioned is somewhere near those as well not the one at FT William. 

Jayfishin
On 6/28/2017 at 6:26 PM, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Has anyone fished just outside the break wall launching at current river I have a 14ft boat and don't fee like adventuring very far out even on a calm day.

There are fish to be caught right out front of breakwall opening adjacent current river....lots of smaller boats go out from there.

Jay

Jayfishin
6 hours ago, Newfisher said:

Hey folks. Got quite intrigued by this form and this thread in particular. I've been in Thunder Bay for the last three years and am having a heck of a time finding some good fishing. Maybe it's time of day or bait but it's been disappointing to say the least. Been onto sandstone, iron range, whitefish, prelette all with little luck. Been thinking of venturing onto the big lake. I have a newer 16' Lund. Is this even big enough?  Went up to black bay and put in at Hurkette. Once we left the bay it was pretty darn choppy. Ended up turning around and heading back into Hurkette bay having my 2.5 year old with me, I wasn't gonna stay out in that water for very long. 

Reading through this thread I've been searching for a few spots mentioned here. Such as Squaw bay Rd, the only one I can find is at FT William, long way from black bay.  Found silver islet and the launch at pearl  it I have a feeling the squaw bay Rd ppl have mentioned is somewhere near those as well not the one at FT William. 

Head out towards sleeping giant prov park from Hwy 11/17.... just as you enter park boundary road is on your left.

squaw bay launch.pdf

Python

I went out to Black bay over the weekend (sunday). Launched at Squaw Bay.

Launch was easy, took it slow initially and then once having my GPS path marked i just used that for the way back, super easy.

Weather was really nice, i was out from 2:00pm till 10:00pm only caught 4 laketrout, a mix between purple and orange lures at 30-40ft deep.

Didn't mark too much on my sonar till later in the evening i was starting to mark a fair bit off of Edward Island. went all round cranberry island as well most success was off the previous island.

Temps were 57F at the surface. Overall is was a good day of floating and weather :)

tbayfinn
On 7/3/2017 at 0:47 AM, Newfisher said:

Officially the road is now called Portage Drive and the bay off Black Bay is called Sibley Bay. Left of the island and straight out there are no reefs to speak of unless you venture too far north toward the camps. The west side of Black Bay is very shallow and one doesnt hit 70' of water until nearly half way across. The bay can get rough in a heartbeat with a stiff north or south breeze, I dont venture far in a 16' boat unless its clearly going to be a calm day. Local winds can pick up in the afternoon just from the temperature difference between the lake and the mainland.

A safe dock is non existent at the launch and parking is the same on a busy weekend. No money available apparently even though it is one of the few access points to the new Lake Superior National Marine Conservation area...

pastor norm

And the public boat launch and parking area at Sibley Bay encroaches private property and access to a private dock and commercial fishery loading (note the old boat and refrigerated trailer). So be careful how you park, because it gets busy. Once all the designated spots in the parking lot are filled (please don't be a space hog), consider parking on the road into the launch rather that clogging the private access or the center rocky part of the parking lot.  I hope the Ministry improves the lot and the dock further away from the private property, even if it means a launch fee.

pastor norm

Thanks for the info, Python. Better luck next time.

Python
51 minutes ago, pastor norm said:

Thanks for the info, Python. Better luck next time.

I'm going to head back this Saturday and be on the water by dawn (5am) and will report back if its any better. My past experience has always been more successful in the mornings.. time will tell... will report back!

tbayfinn
4 hours ago, pastor norm said:

And the public boat launch and parking area at Sibley Bay encroaches private property and access to a private dock and commercial fishery loading (note the old boat and refrigerated trailer). So be careful how you park, because it gets busy. Once all the designated spots in the parking lot are filled (please don't be a space hog), consider parking on the road into the launch rather that clogging the private access or the center rocky part of the parking lot.  I hope the Ministry improves the lot and the dock further away from the private property, even if it means a launch fee.

I think its actually a slice of crown land that is basically leased to the fishermen since they originally set it up decades ago before the park existed. I wouldn't be surprised if they gated and locked the "dock" access due to liability concerns. I wonder how Lakehead Region Conservation Authority finds the money for their great docks in the Thunder Bay area.  Widening the road would help with parking, never mind meeting someone on the way in and out. 

pastor norm

thanks for that info, finn.  I just hope fishermen learn to think of others' interests when using the launch.

Powley9

Just wondering if anyone has been out in front of the marina break wall or near current river at all? Just wondering if anyone has had any luck? Hoping to get out there within in the next day or two and the guidance is always nice.

Thank you