• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Transducer placement

Bobber Down

When I originally mounted/placed the transducer in my driveway it was just slightly lower than the bottom of the transom. When I was on the water sitting and trolling at 1 to 2 mph the boats actual water line on the transom was about 4 to 5 inches higher, where the step in the hull can be seen on the left. I was getting double bottom images which made me look. Everything I have read states the transducer needs to be just 1/8 inch or so in the water not 4 to 5 inches under the water. So today I moved it up to where it is now (see pic). Do you think the boat will cause interference in this new position? Any thoughts or suggestions.

trans.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

arvey

I'll try and help you. The reason it's placed just below the bottom of the boat is for high speed were you have it now once your wide open you'll get zero signal. You may get interference were you have not sure. I would put it back just below the bottom of the boat.

• Like 1

eyelander

Yes, below the bottom of the boat. You probably will have to move it further to the right just a bit to avoid the trailer bunk as a just in case.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Bobber Down

Thanks for the help guy's. Moved it back down and over slightly. Was running out of wood so I had to screw two thin pieces together.

IMG_5115.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

eyelander

That should work just fine at any speed.

• Like 1

naden

I can never get my transducer to read at higher speeds, it came mounted on my boat when i bought it on the port side of the engine, i read in the instructions that the prop can cause interference with transducers and that it should be mounted on the other side? Anyone else find that the side matters? I've tried changing the angle and also how far it sticks below the boat with no luck. Only other thing I have noticed is the plastic block it is mounted too isnt 100% flush with the bottom of the boat and I think it may be disrupting the flow of water coming off the back of the hull. Any thoughts?

naden

Not a great pic but this is how mine is mounted. 

IMG_20161001_151727537.jpg

Adrian

I had a similar problem.  When I got the boat, the transducer was mounted at the same angle as the bottom of the boat, and not horizontal.  I played with it a bit till the transducer is now level (horizontal) with the water and not level with the boat bottom.  Once I did that, I get good bottom image up to about 40 fow at any speed.  It took a bit of trial and error to get it to read well at speed, and not produce a big spray out the back.  One side of the transducer is a little deeper in the water than the other side at speen, but the beam is square to the bottom of the lake now.

eyelander

If that white plastic block is below the bottom of the hull, even a smidgen, yes it will disrupt water flow past the transducer. It may be creating very small bubbles that you would not ever see but the transducer will pick them up.