• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KSM

1 hour shore spots

KSM

I am new to TBay and have yet to get a boat. Does anyone know some good spots to fish from shore within one hours drive for Thunder Bay. I have been looking on the forum however some spots have issues with accessibility for varying reasons. Thanks for the help.

Thefishleclair

Hazelwood lake. Cloud lake. Kam river. Current river docks. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

naden

A lot of the stocked speckled trout lakes are fishable from shore and not too far from town. Try using a website like OMNRF fish online or nomap.ca to find some lakes close to town. There used to be a published guide to stocked lakes in the thunder bay area that described the lakes and how to access them but I'm not sure if it is still in circulation. 

gsambray

There's a lot of great fishing opportunities right in town. 

fishingfinn

Kam river around Stanley, there's a few spots to fish - multiple species.

Young Bay at middle shebandowan has a beach area to fish, with a weed bed right in front holding multiple species.  Nice spot to fish and relax....only problem is it's right beside the highway.

Beeman

The boat launch on the kam across from Bombardier, under the bridge going to mission island from the east end.  all over the marina or just past that where the creek flows into the lake, fishermans park current river ect.. all great place in town,, even closer to LU.  Leaving a bit hazelwood is great from shore so are some of the other smaller lakes, a bit further out there are docks on Shebandewan that produce well.

gsambray

North branch. I've had very good luck with specks. Cedar falls has always produced when the swimmers aren't there. I've been told the McIntyre floodway does produce walleye. I haven't caught them yet but it may be a time of year issue. If you want to go further than an hour then I would say mountain lake for lakers. I've never fished there in a boat always from shore and have done well

Thefishleclair

Careful fishing at north branch. Lots of private property up and down from the river. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

TroutHunter

Sunshine bridge (Matawin River) produces walleye, pike, etc

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

James01

The government docks on Lower Shebandowan - just down from the public boat launch. Its all highway, and this last weekend three of us got our limit of walleye fishing from shore - in just a few hours in the evening. Evening does seem to be key on Shebandowan, especially when fishing for walleye and fishing from shore. You can drive right to the government dock. Its an easy, accessible, and comfortable place to fish. 

A couple of weeks ago (May Long) I caught the biggest smallmouth I ever caught while fishing walleye from the dock. There are also pike to be caught. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

devonphilips
On 6/5/2017 at 4:01 PM, James01 said:

The government docks on Lower Shebandowan - just down from the public boat launch. Its all highway, and this last weekend three of us got our limit of walleye fishing from shore - in just a few hours in the evening. Evening does seem to be key on Shebandowan, especially when fishing for walleye and fishing from shore. You can drive right to the government dock. Its an easy, accessible, and comfortable place to fish. 

A couple of weeks ago (May Long) I caught the biggest smallmouth I ever caught while fishing walleye from the dock. There are also pike to be caught. 

hi James what road to take going to public boat lunch in Shebandowan

James01

Look for "Shebandowan Shores Resort "(turn there - that is 586), and look for signs indicating the public boat launch. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Cole
On 6/30/2017 at 1:15 AM, devonphilips said:
On 6/5/2017 at 4:01 PM, James01 said:

Can you still catch fish there in the summer time or just spring?

James01

I catch some fish, but it does slow down. In the Spring I would almost guarantee you a limit of walleye, now not so much... you could still do well though.

- Henry David Thoreau

gsambray

Bringing my neice down to the McIntyre river Saturday morning. Going to try by the bridge on island drive. See if she can hook into something down there

Russ
On 6/4/2017 at 2:06 PM, gsambray said:

North branch. I've had very good luck with specks. Cedar falls has always produced when the swimmers aren't there. I've been told the McIntyre floodway does produce walleye. I haven't caught them yet but it may be a time of year issue. If you want to go further than an hour then I would say mountain lake for lakers. I've never fished there in a boat always from shore and have done well

where at mountain lake from shore?!?!

Feldwebel Wolfenstool

...mid-June, the sonar indicates an incredible amount of fish right off the battleship HMCS James Whalen on the Kam...