• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rickinil

northern lights lake

rickinil

wellp tomorrow I m headed north to my favorite lake for a week. hope to do ok , wanting to try

some whitefish fishn just for some thing different,but I don't really care

its just nice to get back to the country where I was born,. maybe I ll even run into t.bay to look over the old

folino store an some of the town where I grew up.Hows boulivaerd lake these days?anyways its good to be going

thnx for some tips on the whitefish !

• Like 1

Amia Calva

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

Whitefish are super cool. I'm hoping to get into a few someday.

borealjourneys

When you posted about whitefish earlier this year, I was also interested and looked around.  Found this article: http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can211.php

Could be a good time to try this tactic.  I was out a couple of days ago and there were lots of mayflies.  Around 5:00 there were a few on the surface in the calm bays and fish were surfacing already sipping on them (could have been whitefish or trout).  As the evening went on, there were more mayflies.  From the above article, it sounds like they'll already be looking upward in the later afternoon waiting for them to emerge.  If you're the first mayfly presentation, you're more likely to have luck than if you wait until there are lots and you are competing with the natural hatch.  If you don't have fly gear, a casting bubble is a cheap alternative.  Unfortunately, I had my young daughter with me and we had a few hours paddle to get back to our vehicle, so I didn't have time to try casting flies where they were feeding on them.  We did try trolling a streamer with no luck but were probably trolling a bit fast for that type of presentation.  Got that idea from this article: https://flyguys.net/fishing-information/still-water-fly-fishing/fishing-the-long-line-trolling-the-fly

Good luck.  Please post an update to let us know if you found any and what worked. 

rickinil

well we made it up there had a great time killin the bass and northern eeyes not so much a few and only a couple of white fish but man the bass were big! and scrappy! a fun time for sure!