• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

RatherBeFishin

Mooose !!!!

RatherBeFishin

I found myself headed up spruce river road saturday to the dog lake open fishing derby. Me and my buddy seen a beuty looking young bull on the side of the highway. Then today i was headed out spruce river rd for work. And seen what i presume was the same bull as it was within 500 ish yards of where we seen the one on sat. Then. Another 30 km down the road i seen another nice looking cow. So then i really started to scan. Didnt see anymore. But the shoulder of the road is just covered in moose tracks for the 75km that i went up spruce river. So that got me to thinking. Gotta be the bugs that are driving them outta the bush. The one i seen was midday on the side of the rd. Dont see that to often. If we ever had arial surveys done again. I say forget the mid winter surveys and do them now. When the blck flies are terrible and the moose r out in the open trying to get a break. !!! Thats gotta give a somewhat accurate headcount !! 

• Like 2

Spectre

Shhhh, they aren't going to be able to cut more tags with that kind of attitude and those kind of ideas... :horse2:

• Like 2

RatherBeFishin

Seen 4 more today and one dead one ! Thats 7 total in 3 trips(all though one was the same i seen before so 6)  Headed back in the am. Will keep u posted. Forget them. Im gonna do my own population survey !! Stay tuned. Got about 5 more day trips for work. Should have a good head count by then 🤣

Spectre

Right on, I know myself saw more moose last year hunting than I have any other year before that.

The thing I am having the toughest time understanding is how in this time of being almost able to know everything about everything with the assist of internet(Google), how are the people in charge of all this hunting and moose laws so out of touch with how things work and the best ways to make things better instead of just taking shots in the dark. Everytime it comes up in articles, read the comments section there are usual  1or 2 valid ideas on how things that could be done to logically improve the moose population...

RatherBeFishin

I also seen alot of moose last year while hunting. most i have seen in quite a while in one hunting season. It took me all of 45 minutes to get my moose last year ! I seen 5 different moose myself in one weekend. And my group of 3 seen 9 in total in the couple weekends we hunted moose. The year before last we seen 6 moose which i though was also descent. But we didnt have luck filling our tag that year

it outrages me that somehow they increased cow tags in 15b this year. How in the world does that even make sense. Good way to rebound a dwindling population. NOT !!!! And the two week calf season , may as well leave that openall season  or turn a cow tag to a calf after two week calf season. Theres so much that i just dont get the reasoning behind. I could go on and on. But am gonna get upset and frusterated. Lol. So im gonna stop it there. I sure am happy seeing all theese moose though. 

• Like 1

fishman1

I have been working at the rainy river gold project for a year.

travelling great moose country on a by- weekly basis.

i have seen 2 moose in a year. Same as all other workers.

the moose just aren't there anymore!

period!

hunt or be hunted

Almost every second fishing trip I've been on this year we've seen moose and heathly moose ! And I've been fishing 3 times a week since may long so their around it's just a matter of timing, cause we are seeing them early morning, mid afternoon and late evenings. 

• Like 1

RatherBeFishin

Agreed. Just seen another today !!

fishman1

Don't kid yourself into thinking the population is doing well!

hunt or be hunted

How do we know it isn't ? It's not like the MNR is properly doing their survey counts anyways to truely know the decline and incline numbers year to year in each unit ! 

• Like 1

bdl141

I work up the Armstrong highway I travel it every week I have never seen this many moose as I have this year most around eaglehead lake 

Zackcorbin1401

I've seen way way more moose this year than any other year I can remember.

firebird

Ive always seen many around wether its south west or north of town. We always manage to get a moose every year and see more when hunting. Last 2 years I've seen some nice big bulls in roughly the same area and only had a cow tag. Last year one grazing at 120 yards, took my pack off and sat down, ranged him, looked awhile with my binos, nice tall paddles and heavy eye guards. The year before in some fresh snow i was sneaking along a cut line and the bull was standing 20 yards off the bush snow laying in his paddles and some on his back, seen me and walked into the bush. This year no adult license for 15b :(