• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red_Nuck

Chambers/McGrath/Topaz system

Red_Nuck

I'm planning to take my fiance on her first canoe trip this summer and was considering chambers/McGrath/Topaz lakes due to their smaller size. I've never been myself, nor do I know of anyone that is familiar. The main advice I am seeking is info on established campsites (locations, characteristics, etc), though any other advice for the area would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

eyelander

I have been into all of them many times, I will get back to you shortly on locations for campsites, reefs and shoals, water depths, etc.

• Like 1

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Captain Hook

McGrath is a nice lake. Big beaches, good fishing and fairly clean. Campsites on Chambers were filthy, covered with beer cans and generally disgusting. There's a little portage to get into McGrath unless the waters high. Big Island with huge campsite not far from portage. I'd recommend McGrath over the other two. Haven't been in there for a few years so maybe they cleaned up Chambers. 

naden

I've seen that mcgrath campsite a complete mess from one end to another a few years ago. I guess it all depends on what clowns have been in there. There is decent campsites on all three of those lakes, I dont remember seeing a campsite on Topaz though, not sure about amethyst

Captain Hook

There's a good campsite on Topaz ( if that's the lake between Chambers and mgrath) 

naden
15 hours ago, Captain Hook said:

There's a good campsite on Topaz ( if that's the lake between Chambers and mgrath) 

That's blunder, topaz is at the far west end of that chain, there is an old boat launch that I suppose you could camp at but I don't remember seeing any sites out on the lake, although that was 12 years ago

mad scientist

There was a series of pamphlets put out in the 70s called Northern Light Lake Canoe Routes that includes a trip in that area (the pamphlet refers to them as the Perching Gull Lakes).  Brodie Library has the first seven in the series; unfortunately Perching Gull is Route No. 10, but if you can track it down, it might be of some use to you.

http://mycatalogue.tbpl.ca/search~S1?/Ynorthern+light+lake&SORT=D/Ynorthern+light+lake&SORT=D&SUBKEY=northern+light+lake/1%2C5%2C5%2CB/frameset&FF=Ynorthern+light+lake&SORT=D&1%2C1%2C

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

Captain Hook

I apologize naden, I blundered.

• Like 1

Scojik

Me and my buddy stayed on a point just accross the river access to McGrath in Blunder Lake. it was a nice litte spot all though it was mostly rock so there was limited area you could peg down your tent.  I Fished right off that point caught mostly small ones but it was the beginning of August and hot as hell..  Never saw a soul for 4 days!

Red_Nuck

Thanks for all the help everyone. If anyone is ever interested in the canoe route that starts at hand lake and goes through koss you northern lights, send me a msg for info. My buddy and I cleared those trails out a couple years ago and it's an awesome route!

NLTrapper

Thanks for clearing those trails Red_Nuck.  That's my trapline  and I sure appreciate when people do that.  I try and keep them open also.  It seems like I'm in a constant state of trail clearing at times ..lol :)