• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Iron Ranger

July Fishing

Iron Ranger

Well the Walleye fishing was very good early July. It has just shut down now. I guess when you have lemons, make lemonade. The Sunny (Bluegill) fishing has been outstanding! We have a small lake a couple miles away from our home that I duck hunt. There is no access to it so we have to park on a tote road and drag a 12' boat with my BLUE Evinrude (date that) 3 1/2 HP. I bought the motor 10 years ago for $25.00, replaced a head gasket and it runs like a champ. I love using vintage gear!

We have done very well on the Bluegills. We have taken Bluegills up to 11" and with the liberal limits a couple great meals are the result. In my opinion Bluegills are the best tasting and hardest fighting fish (for their size) in the lakes. I would put them above Perch and Walleye for taste. Very sweet if you want to use a word to describe them.

The wild rice crop looks very good in our area. The ducks and us (we harvest rice) should have plenty of rice to stay awhile during the migration.

The partridge population appears to be on the rise. The DNR based on drumming counts is up over 40% from last year. We'll see, I'm not a big believer in their surveys.

Eagerly waiting for the South Dakota pheasant count in August.

I hope everyone is having a great season and stay safe.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Iron Ranger

BTW, We are putting together our annual August trip to White Otter, Even in August the early morning and evening the fishing is outstanding. Mid day consists of eating, some beers and floaties in Lost bay. My young bride loves her floaties!

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

naden

Jealous that you are heading to White Otter, unfortunately I dont think I will make it there this summer as we just had our first child in June and have a trip planned to the west coast for August. Have a good trip!

• Like 1

Iron Ranger

Congrats on your first child. There is no better feeling than a birth of your child. Hold your child close and treasure the moment. They grow so fast.

From previous posts I know you are a White Otter addict. I'll be thinking of you while we are floating on our "floaties" and fishing early and dusk. My wife and I love that time, there is NOBODY in the lake other than a few party's canoeing. They never go in to lost bay. Lost has it all, Walleye, lake trout in the two holes, Moose wandering through our site early AM

We get up there late Sept before the lake trout closure also. We bird hunt the portages and fish the lake trout on some of the reefs when they are starting to spawn. The fishing can just be insane at times if we hit it right. The weather is still good and there is no one up there.

Take special care of your child and mother.

• Like 1