• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Thefishleclair

Bait Size

Thefishleclair

I wont mention what shop I was at but man I asked for a few dozen Mediums and I got  smalls mixed in with the Meds....I would say more then 50% were smalls .I will not go back to this shop anymore, Even the worms and leeches were smallish compared to other shops. I hope the screening will go better in the future.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Bobber Down

Nothing will go better in the future unless the shop knows about the issue or even cares. The only way to change this behaviour is customers complaining or not going back like you said. Let the membership here decide if they will continue to support such activity. Which bait shop was it? PM me if you like.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Thefishleclair

I wont say what one. Even in PM, I was just looking to see if others have noticed this.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

RickS

So if you go into a restaurant and get a bad meal, would you just pay the bill and never go back or would you mention it to the manager and give them a chance to make things right?  They may be doing this (mixing sizes) intentionally to cut costs but it may have been an honest mistake.  I would encourage you to bring it to the attention of the store owner/manager and give them a chance to make things right for you.  If they don't try to make it right, then  by all means stop going there. 

Thefishleclair

Yes I will pay my bill and walk away. How I roll. If others are happy that's their right. Myself I just don't return. To each their own. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed it or not. I may be just to picky and maybe it is the norm now  Some shops may grade minnow sizes one way and others another way. I will shop around and see if it's the same at other shops or not. I don't mind driving around to see what's what in the tanks. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

AB

It's that time of the year where the warm water makes it really tough for the bait trappers to get much of anything in their sets. Small to medium minnows are about the only thing that will go into the traps.  Leeches are affected by the water temps to.

If the trappers aren't catching the larger sized bait fish or leeches, how are the bait shops going to sell them?

As soon as the water temperatures cool, the trappers will start catching larger bait fish again. Just in time for fall fishing.

On the flip side, young of the year bait fish are in abundance, all sizes of fish will be feeding on them.

Stay cool!

AB

• Like 2

Fred

Ok fair enough if trappers are getting smaller bait. But you can't market a S-10 as a full sized pick up just because you don't have any full sized pick ups left. Just say you have small a and mediums and sort them. 

• Like 3

RLS

I always ask to see the how big they are before buying...one person's small is another person's medium...buyer beware is my thought. 

Foozer

I always ask to see first too.  For the same reason as above.

There is a shop I won't go to anymore either as I've gotten dead worms one time, then they didn't have any mediums when everyone else did, and the next I got a hard time when I asked for suckers that were closer to 6" than 8".

"we don't sort for customers" I was told.

Fine.  But now me and my wallet go to where I get what I ask for.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Blackfootbaits

I remember when medium minnows were graded with an 18/64th grader by all the shops in town.  Most now use an 17/64th grader.  That meaning anything that stays in an 18 is a medium . At one time it used to be a 19 or 20 until one of the shops decided that we needed a medium/large minnow.  When that started, the mediums got smaller. No where else in this province is there a med/lge minnow.  You have to realize that different species grade differently.  Fat heads will grade smaller while pearl dace will grade more like a m/l in an 18 but the fine scale dace seems to give you the perfect size.(length wise)

I have not changed since I  opened, still an 18.

Zackcorbin1401
11 minutes ago, Blackfootbaits said:

I remember when medium minnows were graded with an 18/64th grader by all the shops in town.  Most now use an 17/64th grader.  That meaning anything that stays in an 18 is a medium . At one time it used to be a 19 or 20 until one of the shops decided that we needed a medium/large minnow.  When that started, the mediums got smaller. No where else in this province is there a med/lge minnow.  You have to realize that different species grade differently.  Fat heads will grade smaller while pearl dace will grade more like a m/l in an 18 but the fine scale dace seems to give you the perfect size.(length wise)

I have not changed since I  opened, still an 18.

I work at a bait shop I agree whatever stays in an 18 grader is medium anything below that is small. And definitely depends on species shiners don't grade like dace.

Blackfootbaits

Shiners don't take  stress very well.  That is the main reason i don't stock them. lol

Zackcorbin1401

agreed

Captain Hook

I had the same experience this year. Quit going to a baitshop because I was getting tiny,tiny minnows that were supposed to be medium. Am happy to say I go to Blackfoot now and the medium minnows are twice as big as the unmentioned shop. Good going Blackfoot!!

Adrian

I have been to bait shops and if they are busy, and the med basket is empty, they throw in a pile of un-sorted minnows, and immediately start to count out my minnows.  It takes time for the minnows to sort themselves out.  I got a mix of all sizes.....

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I will never understand how some anglers are so particular on bait sizes or species. It's almost comical. Everyone wants medlrg dace...lol. I've seen bait everywhere in the lakes..never once seen dace

I don't really have a preference. 

I actually prefer leeches and worms.. both last forever  and can buy by the flat and LB . 

Cheers

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Zackcorbin1401
1 hour ago, Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin said:

I will never understand how some anglers are so particular on bait sizes or species. It's almost comical. Everyone wants medlrg dace...lol. I've seen bait everywhere in the lakes..never once seen dace

I actually prefer leeches and worms.. both last forever  and can buy by the flat and LB . 

Cheers

It's a way cheaper buying a flat or a pound of leeches

Some Old Guy

Ryan!

I am very particular about my live bait. 

Roger

• Like 2

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Blackfootbaits
2 hours ago, Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin said:

Cheers

Well said Ryan 

Thx

Bruce

Bobber Down

The plastic bags make the smalls look like large :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

arvey

I wasn't to long ago a local bait dealer tried sizing their leaches , I know I bought some , I was asked jumbos or regular. I no longer deal there.