• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Blue Perch

Bobber Down

Congrats Zack. Welcome to the club!!

zack.jpg

• Like 3

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Zackcorbin1401

Why did you make this?

Amia Calva

This club looks very fun

Congrats Zack!

Zackcorbin1401

Am I alone in this club I didn't know existed?

Bobber Down
On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎24 at 0:25 PM, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Am I alone in this club I didn't know existed?

There are a select few in this club Zack. Have you ever caught a blue Perch before? Not many have and even fewer have a photo. One in a million! The yearly dinner and awards are held every December at the Prospector. Look for your e-invitation mid November. Please prepare a short speech. I'm sure you will recognize someone at the awards.

blue.jpg

• Like 3

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

gsambray

I didn't know they were that rare. I figured it was the same as the blue walleye. I guess next time I get one I should take a pic lol

Thefishleclair

Used to catch em like that regularly in a lake. Now to remember what one it was. 🤔

• Like 1

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Bunnyfoofoo

iv caught many blue walleye and know where they are..but not a perch...

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Thefishleclair

I remember the lake now. !  Time to get into the club!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Gaulzilla

catch small perch with blue colouring on Trout Lake on occassion,   and saw a bass with blue colouring recently as well (different lake).  know a few lakes with blue walleyes - always neat to see. 

Kaptain Kirk

I caught lots of Mercury oil blue walleyes Over the years. Lots of different lakes have them. Not sure how it happens to the fish. But they all sure taste great. I know one thing there not mercury oil blue, that's just the name I like to use. I seem to catch and see more of them in winter then summer for some reason also. If some body knows why this colour of fish on here, I would like to know. Feel free to share. Tks kk

Some Old Guy

The true blue walleye is listed as extinct. They were common and over harvested in the Lake Erie area. 

The "blue" walleye caught in our area are just Yellow Walleye that create a blue tinged mucus that is believed to be a sun screen of sorts. This is happening more and more in our region.

There are many different colours of Yellow walleye. I have seen yellow so bright that extends all around the belly almost to the back of the fish and the opposite end of the scale, almost no yellow and totally black.

The extinct blue walleye have very large eyes and no white tip on it's tail. Sauger and saugeyes are commonly mistaken for blue walleye due to the colour and absence of a white tip on the tail.

blackwalleye.jpg

bbwalleyenew1.jpg

walleyeonice.jpg

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bobber Down

Biologists credit the strange coloration to a genetic mutation that causes an abundance of blue pigment and a lack of normal yellow and orange hues. Due to social media, phones that take pics etc. more reports are made than in previous years. There also has been a report of the mythological creature Babe The Blue Ox seen in a MN corn field. Pics to follow soon.

Some Old Guy

These are all walleye. Just different colour variations.

Roger

greenbackwalleye.jpg

gunmetalwalleye.jpg

orangewalleye.jpg

yellowwalleye.jpg

• Thanks 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

levi64
1 hour ago, Roger Mayer said:

These are all walleye. Just different colour variations.

Roger

greenbackwalleye.jpg

gunmetalwalleye.jpg

orangewalleye.jpg

yellowwalleye.jpg

• Thanks 1

levi64

I just can't believe the guy in the last pic just happened to be wearing a matching hat to his catch.  What are the odds lol

• Like 1

mad scientist

Below is a copy of my post from May 2015 that talks about the science behind blue-tinted walleye...given their close relation, I'd imagine that blue-tinted perch are caused by the same mechanism.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "true" blue walleye subspecies differed from yellow walleye in more ways than just colour:

In most other aspects other than colour, the two subspecies were difficult to spearate. The eyes of the blue walleye were slightly larger, higher on the head, and consequently closer together (interorbital width less). Trautman (1957) showed a greater distance between the preopercle bone and branchiostegial rays, otherwise proportions and counts were very similar. The blue walleye had a different spawning time and place, a slower growth rate and smaller ultimate size, and different depth distribution. - Scott and Crossman, 1973.

The last confirmed "true" blue walleye was taken from Lake Erie in 1965. It is now considered extinct.

The blue-tinted walleye that are semi-commonly seen in inland lakes throughout Ontario appear that colour because they lack yellow pigment. The slime on walleye...all walleye...is tinted blue because of a protein pigment called sandercyanin. When you lay a yellow layer under the blue slime, they come out looking green. But fish that lack the yellow pigment are silver-white under the slime (kind of like albinos, but it's not true albinism), and therefore all you see is the blue.

Good paper explaining all this came out last fall... http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjfas-2014-0139#.VWSqLJTFjIU

• Like 1

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3