• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flyingfisherman

Fly fisherman new to town

Flyingfisherman

Hi everyone,

I am new the site and new to Thunder bay. I am here for school, so will be here for a few years. I am from southern Alberta, thus my addiction for fly fishing. I also spend several weeks each year in Northern BC on the Skeena river and its tributaries swinging flies for steelhead and salmon. anyways enough about myself. 
I am super exited to explore new water and target some new species on a fly rod. My question for you guys is, I have 1 week off of school at the end of August and I am looking to do a several day fly fishing trip. I would love to target salmon in some of the rivers ( I think that might be a little bit early). I would also be interested in some brookies or anything really for that matter..... If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions on where I should go camp for 4-5 days, explore, and fly fish. That would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. I should also note that I have a truck (4x4), I dont have a boat, I also do have a 3,6,9 wt rod, also have 4wt switch and 8wt spey rod. So I am fairly equipped for most species.

Cheers! and tight lines. 

Thefishleclair

Welcome to T Bay.  Yer best bet is look for Brookies bass or pike. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

brookiebuster

End of august you might have some chinooks moving into the rivers. I'd recommend driving east towards terrace bay and fishing all the rivers that cross the trans Canada. Brook trout might also be moving up into the rivers aswell depending on rain and water levels. Most of the rivers have trails where you can access up or down stream. Fish the river mouths aswell could be fish staging waiting to go up river. Lots of resident brookies and steelhead smolt in the rivers that can be caught easily. Later in the year you'll get good runs of fall steelhead and cohos farther east. Also giving the nipigon river a shot would be good bet for any species. Most of the rivers in town have resident brookies and small rainbows most of the year aswell. 

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

fishman1

Lots of local steelheaders make the run to the smithers terrace area from here each fall ..  Send me a PM.