• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bwkre

Elite 5x DSI

bwkre

Anyone with experience on the Lowrance Elite 5x DSI.  The last 4-5 times I''ve used it, it faults on power up. No sonar image and the depth reads 60' yet I'm still sitting at the dock in about 3' of water. The transducer is on a bracket clamped over the transom and gets pulled up after each use. Very few scratches on it. Reset to factory default does nothing. Re-powering doesn't help. Nothing has changed since it was purchased. I remove the head after each use and the cable  plug has a cap with dielectric grease in it, no corrosion. 

Usually after about 5 minutes, and I'm under way, the depth will correct itself and the sonar image will appear and be accurate. Sometimes while out, often stationary, the depth will lock on a number, like 37.5' and not change, the image will continue with what appears to be a continuation of the last good image, usually flat.Then a while later it will start working normally. Frustrating and little help on-line.

I'm thinking transducer or the cable to the transducer. I was unable to reproduce a failure by "working" the cable in the areas it is normally flexed, turned, etc while removing from the water.

bwkre

Problem solved - New transducer arrived this morning. Set up the unit on the test bench & filled a 30 gal drum with water. Set the transducer just under the surface and powered it up. Instant 2.2 foot reading and shallow water alarm beeping. couple simple tests to check object detection and I'm satisfied it was the transducer.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future.

Can't wait to get it mounted back on the boat and out in the water.