• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

ottoman82

Ice Fishing Bibs/Jackets

ottoman82

I know I know, its a little early for ice fishing but I want to invest in new bib pants and jacket.  What does everyone recommend and why?

I was looking at Striker Ice Predator or Hardwater .  I want something warm, water proof and flexible so my large back end won't tear the seat out of the bibs lol.

Any info is appreciated.  Thanks guys!!

Mykiss

Mustang Ice Rider.......perfect for safety on ice....By far the best used extensively by Ont. Gov't.

• Like 1

pbear

I have a set of the predators and they are warm, not noticeably warmer than ice rider though.  

• Like 1

AB

Otto,

Loved the your comment about the pants seat. We all gain a few sizes when we start strapping on the long undies, sweaters and fleeces to brave the hard water season. Hard to determine the right fit when we're wearing shorts and sandals at this time of the yr!

If you get a chance to try different suits on, remember to try them with your ice fishing foot and hand wear. Be sure that the bibs have a generous enough cut that you will be able to get them done up and seal the pant leg around your winter boats. Same with the arms of the jacket, they shouldn't bunch up and prevent you from getting your gloves or gauntlets on easily. 

I have a bib and jacket set from Frabill, love it, but its a bit of a fight to get them done up around the big Baffin boots I wear. I know I'm stressing the zippers and will have to get them replaced sooner than later. Hence my advice above.

Let us know if you find a great deal!

AB

• Like 1

ottoman82

AB

Thanks for all the tips.  I use them all when making a decision.  I will keep you updated

pbear

Where did you get your predators?

Otto

Wolf

I have worn the fxr pants for the past 3-4 years. They are very warm, ridden sleds in 40 without the windchill doing 70 across the lake and no cold felt. The knees are wearing out a bit from kneeling on the ice by the holes. I have a jacket as well. Very warm as well it is not the floater version but can be purchased in a floater coat (depending on the model). J&J sports has a sale on fxr that is brand new but last years stock. It should be starting in September some time. When replacing the pants this year I will be going with fxr again. 

Jayfishin

HJC flotex has been a great suit for many years.....pants are tough and don't wear out after many sled rides and ice fishing trips. Good priced outfit.  Royal distributing carries these but locally J&J Sports has good prices too.

Jay

pbear
On 2017-08-25 at 10:47 AM, ottoman82 said:

AB

Thanks for all the tips.  I use them all when making a decision.  I will keep you updated

pbear

Where did you get your predators?

Otto

I bought them from Dicks sporting goods. A bit of a pain because they do not allow Canadian credit cards, but definitely worth the trouble (under $200 US for parka and bibs)

Kaptain Kirk

Mustang for me, there costly but they last. I haven't tried the others so I don't no. 

ottoman82

Just an update.  I decided to break the bank since I saved up a little extra cash.  I ended up buying the Striker Ice Climate jacket and bib pants.  The cheapest that I was able to find at the time was at fishingworld.ca.  Shipping was only $20.   I will update this thread in a week or so and let everyone know how things fit and feel.  I will also keep you guys updated on their performance once the hardware season starts.

Cheers everyone!

ottoman82

Ok guys I finally had a chance to try out the new Striker Ice Climate suit yesterday at Lac Des Mille Lacs . I decided to run and gun and not use my shelter.  The gear kept me very warm.  The dexterity wasn't hindered as they are cut well. I also purchased the climate gloves as they are submersion proof but i didnt find them overly warm.  I added a heater pack to each mitt and was instantly surprised how warm my hands stayed through the rest of the day.  I also bought the Striker Ice Face Off balaclava and man it was warm.  I only used it to drive while on the ice but I didn't feel a thing. Hope this helps.  Cheers

Superiormobile

I also bought the Striker Climate and the gloves. Super warm.  Out last week in it and had no issues. I would spend the extra for the Striker. 

Zackcorbin1401

I just got the striker predator a few weeks ago and I love it, keeps me warm.

Foz

It may not be the best for ice fishing or for extreme cold weather. I use bass pro 100 mph rain pants. I have used them in the winter, not for ice fishing yet, just to wear. They are warm, stay dry and can withstand severe wind.