• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TroutHunter

BC Fishing Help!!!

TroutHunter

So I leave Monday for a week long fishing trip to Fernie, BC.  I just found out today that BC has implemented a wildfire backcountry ban on all people from fishing, hiking, camping, biking, etc in the areas around Fernie, BC.  Failure to comply results in a $700 fine.  I'm desperately trying to scramble last minute fishing plans.  The 2 guys I'm going with are from Calgary and Kamloops so hopefully they can get some intel.  We are thinking about venturing to SW Alberta and/or Northern Montana for fishable water.  We are aware that we will likely be battling busier waterways as people planning to fish the Fernie area are being displaced elsewhere.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  We were planning on self guided, walk and wade fishing as a week long guide service is a bit pricey.  

Thanks in advance,

Adam

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

AB

Drop down into Montana.

Fish the Kootenay River outside Libby.

Nice rainbows, cutts and bull trout. Lots of water. You might even be able to still rent a drift boat and pick up service from the fly shop in Libby.

Wildfires and closures are going to be a major pain all through southern BC this year. Not to mention, a lot of the rivers in southern BC regulate the number of anglers so if the river is sold out.....

good luck!

AB

TroutHunter

We ended up heading to SW Alberta, Crowsnest Pass area... Fished the Crowsnest River, and Old Man River.  Water levels were incredibly low, and the smoke in the air from the fires was horrendous!  Fishing itself was slow going... From sunup to 10am it was decent, then it died off until just before sunset.  Frustrating to say the least... Yesterday I fished the Bow River in Calgary as I had an extra day before flying home.  Caught some nice rainbows and a cutthroat which surprised me!  All in all it was a good trip. Hopefully next year I can get back to Fernie!

Cheers 

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **