• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

flyndie22

Has anyone hunted or fished sturgeon bay on lake superior

flyndie22

Anyone have any info is there a launch there any decent waterfowl or fishibg for pike etc.

bwkre

There is a decent launch just past the turn to Mink Mountain. And a good size parking area. I have caught pike along the road and I'm told there are bass in the weed area to the right of the launch. My father said the bottom of the bay is full of tree bark. Back in the day they brought timber into the bay to hold and then float down to the mill. Access to the main part of Lake Superior is easy but it's best to stay in the middle as you head out of the bay. Apparently there are lots of big rocks if you venture away from the middle. I've trolled the entire shoreline but haven't ventured out into the big lake. Only ever caught pike along the road.

I don't hunt but there is lots of private property in the area so best to find out first.

flyndie22

Ok cool maybe I'll go try some pike and bass fishing and maybe some duck hunting if it's allowed 

AB

The duck hunting is nothing to get excited about unless you enjoy eating Hooded Mergansers, Common Mergansers and Goldeneye. Puddle ducks are few and far between - no food in there for them, instead it's all fish eaters...there may be a few Canada geese mixed in, but not any real huntable numbers.

The birds tend to raft right in front of the camps so you aren't going to be very popular if you start banging away at them. Who says you need decoys when they seem to key in on the floats marking the end of water lines?

Just giving you a heads up on what goes on down there.

AB

350chevy

I went to pick up a few things I ordered from the states and decided to take a drive down Sturgeon bay road. Nice drive and great view. Does anyone know if there is hunting allowed there? I saw two massive bucks on the drive down by the lake. There were quite a few young deer. 

AB

It's 99.9% private land along Sturgeon Bay Road. 

The Residents down there take a dim view of trespassing especially after one or two garages get broken into each fall. 

Road Hunters are a real problem in the area. I have been stopped by both MNRF and OPP before in my pick-up truck on my way to visit the in-laws down there to check if I am hunting and have improperly stowed fire arms in the vehicle.

We have found several deer in the area in the last 2 yrs, shot along the road and not retrieved by poachers and unethical hunters...

That being said, there are some land owners that are approachable about hunting on their property. But get caught trespassing down there and it's not going to be worth it.

AB

Some Old Guy

Also to add what AB said, it's quite populated there with year round residency and camps. 

I would like to also add that those deer probably all have been named by the folks there!!!!

Roger. 

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

therealfndeal

My brother in laws father hunts the deer at his property he named them lunch and supper lol 

• Like 1

Dirttracker18

^^^^ this is true :)

Dad got a nice buck a couple years back.  It's not a great hunting area.  As noted all private and small lots.  Hardly worth asking.  The few large lots owners generally don't allow hunting by outsiders.

on a side note I've hunting dads place without any luck.  Three years back the day after the season closed a massive buck I've been watching all year walked into the front yard and hung out for a while.  It was like he knew.

The Great Outdoors