• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
#One

Batteries and MK 3 DC alternator charger

#One

Anyone using one of these on board alternator chargers?  Opinions?  I was looking at the MK 3 DC.

Also any recommendations on new group 31 trolling motor batteries for my 80lb thrust Minkota Terrova with I pilot link?

Thanks

Walleye Man

zr500

I got MK 220D charger and 2 28 group for my terrova ipilot link and works great.  Quick charger and plug and play set up and use.  

#One

I currently have a MK330D on the boat for charging while plugged in and that works great but was looking for something that would charge up the trolling motor batteries while operating the big motor.

Walleye Man

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I run Walmart grp 29 batteries.. and use a Genny to charge boat if no power avaible ..I haven't had a day that my 80 terrova let me down with 2 of those. And going on 5 summers on same batteries.

I can't see the onboard option  being better than a tiny Honda or yammy Genny. I would have to make a long run to put enough amps back in 

• Like 2

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Adrian

I would be very hesitant on adding to the load on my outboard alternator.  Unless you are running for a couple hours to and from your fishing spot, you will not be getting much of a charge.  Probably every time you go out, you will be forcing your outboard alternator to work at max capacity.  That is a quick way to shorten the life of an alternator. A quick check on EBay used alternators for my Optimax running about $270 us.  I keep my boat at my off the grid camp, and use my 1000 w Honda inverter generator to charge the batteries as we are watching tv or just running the generator for any reason.  I have an onboard 220 that does just fine and I charge the batteries (2 can tire group 24) every night if I can.  No issues.  My opti is a 2005 and same alternator.

• Like 1

#One

Thanks for the replies.  I think I will stay away from the alternator charger.

Walleye Man