• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

Black Bay Ice Conditions, 2017/18

Superiormobile

I have used the Navionics phone app at Black Bay and it seams pretty accurate. I tested against my Lawrence Elite 5 with the  gold chip and they both seam to read the same.

• Like 1

xf800

Went out Saturday trail was good same as the ice ridge. The fishing was very good and the ice was right to the top of the power head. I would bring a extension if you have one.

Billy Strings

Thanks for the replies BD and SM.   One month and I'll be on the bay!   Getting pumped!  Keep the reports coming.

AB

Just a quick note for everyone heading out this weekend

With the recent snow falls putting a lot of weight on the ice, slush monsters are making an appearance out there.

Trail is marked from the Hurkett launch area out to 5-Mile, but not out to Granite. 

With snow in the forecast for Saturday late afternoon / evening I' highly recommend bringing along a GPS or compass. Knowing which way to run when the land marks get whited out is critical.

Gary had to go out in last weekends storm to rescue a group from Granite at 9pm. (their phone ran out of batteries so they couldn't contact anyone or use the compass App.)

Fishing is a mixed bag, good one day, slow the next, and then better than the day before so it's a roll of the dice.

Bring an extension for your augers! (and a small shovel might come in handy too!)

AB

• Like 1

scandiman
5 hours ago, AB said:

Just a quick note for everyone heading out this weekend

With the recent snow falls putting a lot of weight on the ice, slush monsters are making an appearance out there.

Trail is marked from the Hurkett launch area out to 5-Mile, but not out to Granite. 

With snow in the forecast for Saturday late afternoon / evening I' highly recommend bringing along a GPS or compass. Knowing which way to run when the land marks get whited out is critical.

Gary had to go out in last weekends storm to rescue a group from Granite at 9pm. (their phone ran out of batteries so they couldn't contact anyone or use the compass App.)

Fishing is a mixed bag, good one day, slow the next, and then better than the day before so it's a roll of the dice.

Bring an extension for your augers! (and a small shovel might come in handy too!)

AB

Last trip out to granite just over a week ago, the trail to granite was marked all the way? Something change on that front?

AB

Gary only has so many trail markers....they are spendy and we're lucky that he has invested in the ones he has and the trail he marks is there for anyone to use.

When the fishing quality dropped off out at Granite, we pulled the markers to shorten the spacing between them on the trail out to 5 mile and another area where the fishing was better for his clients and general public.

The trail is marked so that Gary can get himself and his clients in and out of the fishing areas safely. As things shift around, so does the trail.

AB

James01

I was out a couple weekends ago... just before that last cold snap started. We did o.k. I brought some perch home, and a whitefish. All the perch were jumbo that I kept. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

levi64

Has anyone been out lately, how is the bite?

thanks

levi64

Conditions, bite?? Anyone been out?

dunnhuntin

I was out on Thursday and the bite was a little slow where we fished but the fish were big. The ice was thick enough to need an extension even if you dig through the snow with a shovel. There was plenty of snow on top of the ice to run sleds with no slush. 

• Thanks 1

James01

I am going out on Saturday, and I will report anything worth reporting when I get back. Gary is usually quite good at keeping us informed on this board. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

James01

Beauty of a day on Black Bay yesterday... perch came in waves, and a few pike to top the day off. I eventually switched to my jaw jacker because I kept missing fish on my 2nd line.The snow is deep enough that it was tough to run in. 

The pike in the picture was in the slot... meaning it had to be released (after a quick picture). My nephew caught it in the morning, and we released it. I caught it (the same fish) in the afternoon. 

As always, Hamilton Baits was a pleasure to deal with. The 'shuttle' to and from the fishing spot makes things easy. It is the best $10 you can spend. We rented a shack for the day. They put us on the fish. 

Bring sun glasses and sunscreen. Snow is too deep for quads.

We had an extension on the auger, and needed every bit of it. There is a lot of ice... you will not get through without an extension. I am guessing 4 feet of ice.

perch.jpg

pike.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

- Henry David Thoreau

crazyctr
On 3/5/2018 at 8:36 AM, levi64 said:

Conditions, bite?? Anyone been out?

lots of snow no slush yet

bite is getting better still slow at times but getting bigger fish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr
On 2/13/2018 at 4:14 PM, pbear said:

Do you need an extension for your ice auger?

yes extensions are needed now over 4 feet of ice and 18 inches of snow in places

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr

lots of snow out on the bay now so if your machine doesn`t have tracks leave it at home

hbaits.jpg

FishingFun

Anybody been out near Granite this week? Hoping to bring our daughter out this weekend. Any news on ice conditions would much appreciated!

scandiman
1 hour ago, FishingFun said:

Anybody been out near Granite this week? Hoping to bring our daughter out this weekend. Any news on ice conditions would much appreciated!

was out for a ride this morning. Tons of ice. Bring an extension for auger. No slush but that may change over the next couple of warmer days.

• Thanks 1

Foozer

I sure hope the bite is on for Friday.

Wifey thinks I'm out with the mistress on weekends when I tell her I'm fishing.

Now she wants to come with to make sure I'm on the ice....

Please, please, let the bite be on!

• Like 1

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

FishingFun

Had an awesome time fishing on blackbay yesterday! Ice Conditions were great, at least 3 feet with a foot of frozen snow.

Perch were biting!

IMG_9606.JPG

crazyctr

Thanks all for the awesome year.  have a great spring,summer and fall see you all next winter.  still have minnows for sale.  still lots of ice and no slush as of today  

Thanks from Hamilton Baits Crew

• Thanks 2

hbaits.jpg

James01
On 01/04/2018 at 11:20 AM, crazyctr said:

Thanks all for the awesome year.  have a great spring,summer and fall see you all next winter.  still have minnows for sale.  still lots of ice and no slush as of today  

Thanks from Hamilton Baits Crew

Another enjoyable year on Black Bay, thanks Gary (Hamilton Baits). Looking forward to next year... 

- Henry David Thoreau

AmateurHourAngling

Still need an extension?

-JADEN

Foozer

I was out over the weekend near Granite.  There was more Ice on Mar 30 than Mar 17th.

After kicking away all the snow down to the ice, my auger handles still went down to the ice before breaking through and I have a quick-release on my auger that adds about 6 inches.

I'd say make sure you bring an extension.... just in case.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....