• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gsambray

Pass lake ice conditions

gsambray

Thinking of trying out for some splake next weekend. Has anyone been out there?  Wondering on ice conditions

tequila shooter

December 2 ice was fractured in the morning when we were heading to silver islet and by supper time there was lots of water on top. December 10 we passed it on the way to Silver Islet didn't look that great yet and had a little snow on it. With this cold it should start to freeze up and probably try drilling  hole to see how much this coming weekend

MikeC

I was there yesterday (Dec 15) and the ice is good and solid. My guess is around 8 inches. This was my first time on this lake and I decided to try it out in hopes of finding an early season accessible lake. I am looking for perch, pickerel and maybe pike for excitement. The water is very stained so I had hopes.

I drilled about 15 holes starting in the middle and then towards the far shore and along the shore south. The middle is pretty deep - nearly 60 feet and even close to shore it's in the 20's. I tried all the holes with small jigs, minnows and worms and hung a dead bait on a tip up in one hole.

I had no luck at all. I am thinking about going back to try other areas esp at the end farthest from the campground. Looking for tips from anyone who knows this lake.

arvey
1 hour ago, MikeC said:

I was there yesterday (Dec 15) and the ice is good and solid. My guess is around 8 inches. This was my first time on this lake and I decided to try it out in hopes of finding an early season accessible lake. I am looking for perch, pickerel and maybe pike for excitement. The water is very stained so I had hopes.

I drilled about 15 holes starting in the middle and then towards the far shore and along the shore south. The middle is pretty deep - nearly 60 feet and even close to shore it's in the 20's. I tried all the holes with small jigs, minnows and worms and hung a dead bait on a tip up in one hole.

I had no luck at all. I am thinking about going back to try other areas esp at the end farthest from the campground. Looking for tips from anyone who knows this lake.

When you go on the lake look to the right you'll see a rock cliff on the shore out from that people fish for splake there , you'll catch perch but small , there are pike to but I've never caught anything of keeping  size.  

MikeC

I fished a number of holes along that cliff with no luck and was working my way along that shore towards the end of the bay with the little island but the day ran out on me. If I go again I'll start from where I finished and continue into that bay. Am I right in suspecting that this is not a very productive winter lake?

Thefishleclair

Always fish biting there. Must of been a bad day. Nothing big but lots of action. Small minnows is the key and small jigging spoons. 

• Like 1

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB