• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Schurrzy

Kama Bay

Zackcorbin1401

I’ve been out twice this week once in front of the camps and yesterday in between Jackpine and the camps. Everywhere I drilled holes I was seeing 10”-12” of ice.

MetalFishing
19 hours ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

I’ve been out twice this week once in front of the camps and yesterday in between Jackpine and the camps. Everywhere I drilled holes I was seeing 10”-12” of ice.

Any good lakers?

Zackcorbin1401

No lakers for me just whitefish and a big herring.

Hurketthunter

Any info on depths you are finding the whitefish in? I’m hoping to get out to Kama with the kids next weekend. Thanks

hurketthunter

oyo
On 2018-01-04 at 6:32 AM, Zackcorbin1401 said:

If you mind answering, how did you access the area? During the summer I take the second road before the bridge over the jackpine and drive to the lake at a spot west of the actual mouth of the river, did you use the road and is it driveable or walk in / sled in the only option?

cheers

oyo

Tried going in today, met a guy backing out of the road. Said some one tried to get a small car in and chewed it up. Was pretty chewed up, so I walked in from the highway look out spots.

oyo

Terrible. Didnt bring any live bait as we forgot cash and couldnt find an open shop in Nipigon once we hit an atm.

The hike down from highway and back up was a slog and I had no idea where to fish in that part of the bay, we walked out straight ~200 meters, drilled through three feet of ice and found 18 feet of water, not ideal, went out farther found less ice and more water but no fish lol.

I almost considered walking out across the ice from there to the jack pine, but having just measured it in google maps, it would have been a 10km round trip.

Im just going to try and get in through the road next time, or try right in front of the big Kama cliff. 

I saw one or two huts out, but I dont know what the polite distance is to fish near them, so I just stay far away so I dont get yelled at haha.

scandiman
10 hours ago, oyo said:

Terrible. Didnt bring any live bait as we forgot cash and couldnt find an open shop in Nipigon once we hit an atm.

The hike down from highway and back up was a slog and I had no idea where to fish in that part of the bay, we walked out straight ~200 meters, drilled through three feet of ice and found 18 feet of water, not ideal, went out farther found less ice and more water but no fish lol.

I almost considered walking out across the ice from there to the jack pine, but having just measured it in google maps, it would have been a 10km round trip.

Im just going to try and get in through the road next time, or try right in front of the big Kama cliff. 

I saw one or two huts out, but I dont know what the polite distance is to fish near them, so I just stay far away so I dont get yelled at haha.

If you access Kama bay from the trail on the left side off Kama point road then you only have to walk out about 150-200 yards or less to get into 40-50 fow and some decent whitefish and the odd laker. 

scandiman

Oh, and live bait not nevcesary at all when fishing whities. I've never used live bait and done very well

oyo
2 hours ago, scandiman said:

If you access Kama bay from the trail on the left side off Kama point road then you only have to walk out about 150-200 yards or less to get into 40-50 fow and some decent whitefish and the odd laker. 

Ah, good to know! 

Yeah i figured the live bait would just help out if we didnt know what we were doing :) lol

Just to confirm Kama Point Road is the one that goes out onto that little peninsula with all the cottages before the road that goes to the jackpine? Im guessing this would be the trail on the left?

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir//48.9836946,-88.0214868/@48.983838,-88.0227923,442m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

oyo
scandiman
trout.huntress

@oyo If you take the road that was mentioned that goes right to the mouth of Jackpine, you'll have a really easy walk onto the ice. There is a lot of variability in the depth in that area, punch a couple of holes and you'll see that there is a deep trough there that steeply goes from 10-50ft. Set up anywhere on that ridge and you'll find whitefish, herring (right under the ice surface), and lake trout there all day. I've done really well with whitefish using a small Lil Foxee jigging minnow tipped with some minnow, or a small Sebile Vibrato tipped with some minnow. I do agree that bait isn't always necessary, but I typically bring some. I've also used larger Sebile Vibratos and Swedish Pimples for lake trout, they consistently produce.

oyo

@trout.huntress 
Awesome. Got a few other good tips. Looking forward to trying out the area again on Saturday :). I went down that road the first time I went out this season, but I dont think I found the ridge, but I did set up where i saw a guy take down his pop-up and leave, more or less at that GPS co-ord. Didnt catch anything, but I saw one come up to the hole below the ice, really cool!

The road was totally chewed when I went again, so I chickened out on the hike and ended up sliding down from the observation point on the highway.  Looks like im going to have to go down the road no matter what, haha, and bring my fish finder with me to find the ridge.

Cheers.

trout.huntress

@oyo Looking at those coordinates you posted, you're in the right spot, just out front of Jackpine. Punch a couple holes and you'll find the ridge. Hoping the road is in better condition, and you get into some fish on Saturday! Let us know how you do.

frenchman

FYI the Kama point road is private property and is also gated.  Best bet is the jackpine access.

oyo

Has anyone been out in the area last week or two, just trying to get an idea of the conditions, will be walking out (hopefully), on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

Cheers

therealfndeal

Was told by a friend that leaves from red rock says it has gotten real slushy now 

Red_Nuck

There's some slush right at the shore, 6 inches or so. After we punched our holes we had an inch or so around the tent. Not much action on the whitefish today but got some real nice herring. Fishing a couple hundred yards out at 60ft.

Red_Nuck

Think the sign said kama bay road, though I hit the lake right beside the jackpine river so perhaps the same road?

oyo

Yeah same road. Did you snowmachine down to the lake? How thick was the ice?