• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

flyndie22

Inland lake trout opener

flyndie22

I'm curious why in this area do the inland lakes open up for lakers on the first of January pretty much everywhere else it's January first wish it was like that here doesn't make much sence if you ask me 

levi64
1 hour ago, flyndie22 said:

I'm curious why in this area do the inland lakes open up for lakers on the first of January pretty much everywhere else it's January first wish it was like that here doesn't make much sence if you ask me 

I think you mean Feb 1.

TradD

There is a very large population of people in this area.

flyndie22

Lmao that's not a good enough reason haha open up the damn lakers jan 1st like everywhere else I'm seeing all these videos of people catching beauty lakers 

Red_Nuck

I expect it's a management strategy to keep the harvest a little lower, they're pretty slow growing fish. Winter season used to be half the current size not long ago.

scandiman

Open Feb 1 because it limits the amount of pressure on the Lake Trout. They are easy to target winter fishing hence the short winter angling season.

• Like 1

scandiman

That's my thought on it anyhow

Porter Ross

It also helps ensure that the deeper, later freezing lake trout lakes have solid ice before we head out chasing them.  

Resource Pimp

As I remember, back in the mid 90's when the limit was 5 lake trout it was determined that fishing pressure needed to be reduced to preserve populations. Districts were given the choice of a 2 trout full season (Jan 1-Oct31) or a 3 trout 1 month (February) season. For what ever reason our Thunder Bay District went with the 3 trout 1 month and Atikokan, Fort and Kenora went 2 trout full season.  Then a few years after that the MNR wanted to simplify regs and and make them uniform.  So they reduced us to 2 trout like the rest of the region, but never gave us a full season like the rest of the region. Finally in 2009 they threw in the month of March to extend the season. I don't know if the 3 trout 1 month season in the mid 90's was solely a MNR decision or if based on public input. Long story short, if our district had opted for a 2 trout full season back then you would be out trout fishing here today.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

MetalFishing

Had a huge laker come in today on Superior... in 10 feet of water. It was surprising.

flyndie22

Lots of intresting info up there and it makes a bit more sence since there are alot of laker lakes up here 

And that is surprising actually haven't seen any big lakers in shallow on superior yet were you out towards bays end ?

Some Old Guy

Water temp and food regulate where lakers will be. In the winter it's all cold water. Caught and seen caught nice ones in 5 feet of water. 

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

MetalFishing
1 hour ago, flyndie22 said:

Lots of intresting info up there and it makes a bit more sence since there are alot of laker lakes up here 

And that is surprising actually haven't seen any big lakers in shallow on superior yet were you out towards bays end ?

Other direction