• Donate to T.B.F.

    Help me out here folks! All donations go back into upgrading the site!


    5% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • TBF Advertisers

RickRaw

Pepperettes?

Recommended Posts

RickRaw

Have 30 lbs of deer I would like to get made into pepperettes.  In the past we have gone to European but weren't terribly happy last time and wanted to try North Country.  Just called and they aren't accepting any meat for at least the next month.  No idea why but now I am not sure where to get them made?  Anywhere else people tend to like?  We prefer our pepperettes a bit drier.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arvey
58 minutes ago, RickRaw said:

Have 30 lbs of deer I would like to get made into pepperettes.  In the past we have gone to European but weren't terribly happy last time and wanted to try North Country.  Just called and they aren't accepting any meat for at least the next month.  No idea why but now I am not sure where to get them made?  Anywhere else people tend to like?  We prefer our pepperettes a bit drier.

 

Thanks.

Try commissary in the east end. I get my deer ham chub and smokies made there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RickRaw
19 minutes ago, arvey said:

Try commissary in the east end. I get my deer ham chub and smokies made there.

 

Gave them a call and same thing... "call us at the end of January and we will tell you when you can bring your meat".

 

Is this because they clean their machines and don't do any "wild game" for a period of time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buck 120

Bogdalas on Simpson.


Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RatherBeFishin

Yes. I know they clean the machines and stop taking orders of wild game before christmas. Always get ours done at commisary ! Highly recomend them ! 

They have store made pepperettes there made out of beef you could always test out to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tracker

I was at the Commissary  last month and they had 2 pages full of people on the waiting list to get meat processed. 


Tracker (aka- Dennis)

Team NOSA Homepage

 

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Foozer

We got deer pepperettes, deer breakfast sausages, along with medium moose smokies, and mild ones with cheese, all done a Bogdala's Smoked Meats on Simpson.

 

We're very happy with all of it!

 

I picked up my last order in late-November and he told me that I would have to have any other orders in soon as they didn't take any around the holidays due to Christmas orders.

 

I bet that with Christmas, then putting together a list for wild game after the holidays,  that the waiting list gets pretty long as tracker mentioned above.


Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joks

I tried the same on Monday.  I brought my meat in to North Country and they said not till Mid February  I called the commissary and they told me the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MetalFishing

Tim’s Meats. 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joks

Just called North country today and they said at least another month.  Seems they have to build separate facilities for wild game now so it is totally separated.  Anyone know if anybody is 

taking meat for sausages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RLK

Bogdala's on Simpson St. I am picking mine up on Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joks
19 hours ago, RLK said:

Bogdala's on Simpson St. I am picking mine up on Friday.

I wasn't impressed with their smokies when I tried them when they first opened up. I may have to go there if no one else is taking meat.  Time to make some phone calls

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wildcat

European meats told me to bring in my deer meat on Monday 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
back country explorer

just dropped off 60 pounds at tims today said sausage and pepperettes should be ready in a couple days. sorry north country i cant wait any longer, hoping tims are decent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thefishleclair

Eeeekkkkkkk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TroutHunter
21 hours ago, back country explorer said:

just dropped off 60 pounds at tims today said sausage and pepperettes should be ready in a couple days. sorry north country i cant wait any longer, hoping tims are decent

 

Can you let us know how it turns out?  I've heard mixed results from Tims, and read some things about them on another message board. 


** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
back country explorer
4 hours ago, TroutHunter said:

 

Can you let us know how it turns out?  I've heard mixed results from Tims, and read some things about them on another message board. 

not overly impressed i brought 60 pounds 20 for cheese smokies and  40 into pepperettes was told around 3 bucks a finished pound which is similar to north country. usually costs about 160 bucks for 20 pounds of each at north country. all in

upon pick up my bill was over 500 bucks by the time they charged out the pork (40pounds) and cheese for the cheese smokies (30 more dollars). so needless to say i got 23 pounds of cheese smokes from 20 pounds of deer and my 40 pounds of pepperettes turned into over 80 pounds of pepperettes which more resemble a spicy keilbasa then pepperettes and came in approx 20' long solid coil ( not formed into pepperettes). Thought i would try them since i was desperate and north country doesnt have a firm date but really wish i would have waited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arvey

500 bucks ouch I won't be going there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RLK

Just picked up mine from Bogdala's . I brought in 20# for pepperettes and 20# for fresh sausage. I haven't tried the fresh sausage yet but the pepperettes are as good as any i have had. The cost was $160.00 and that included vacuum sealing. Have been going there for many years and will continue to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TroutHunter
18 hours ago, back country explorer said:

not overly impressed i brought 60 pounds 20 for cheese smokies and  40 into pepperettes was told around 3 bucks a finished pound which is similar to north country. usually costs about 160 bucks for 20 pounds of each at north country. all in

upon pick up my bill was over 500 bucks by the time they charged out the pork (40pounds) and cheese for the cheese smokies (30 more dollars). so needless to say i got 23 pounds of cheese smokes from 20 pounds of deer and my 40 pounds of pepperettes turned into over 80 pounds of pepperettes which more resemble a spicy keilbasa then pepperettes and came in approx 20' long solid coil ( not formed into pepperettes). Thought i would try them since i was desperate and north country doesnt have a firm date but really wish i would have waited.

 

Sounds identical to what friends of mine experienced when bringing a moose in a few years back.  Added way too much pork to the ground meat and smokies, the butcher said he did it to "make it taste better" and were overcharged like you were.   I'm not here to trash a business, but here is a link to my friend's experience from a few years back on Ontario Trophy Bucks forum... http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Hunting_Forum/topic/1102410/1/


** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
back country explorer

i will admit we tried the cheese smokies today out trout fishing on greenwater today. they were defiantly good ( wish i could say the same about the fishing)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishingfinn

I brought some deer meat to Tims a few years ago to make into fresh italian sausages.  Same story as everyone else, overpriced and honestly, the sausages were horrible.  I now bring my deer to Franks meat locker to have it cut.  Price is good, and I had them make some fresh italians, and they were ok but not as good as Sausage pros used to be!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
levi64
On 2/16/2018 at 9:07 PM, back country explorer said:

not overly impressed i brought 60 pounds 20 for cheese smokies and  40 into pepperettes was told around 3 bucks a finished pound which is similar to north country. usually costs about 160 bucks for 20 pounds of each at north country. all in

upon pick up my bill was over 500 bucks by the time they charged out the pork (40pounds) and cheese for the cheese smokies (30 more dollars). so needless to say i got 23 pounds of cheese smokes from 20 pounds of deer and my 40 pounds of pepperettes turned into over 80 pounds of pepperettes which more resemble a spicy keilbasa then pepperettes and came in approx 20' long solid coil ( not formed into pepperettes). Thought i would try them since i was desperate and north country doesnt have a firm date but really wish i would have waited.

 

 

Over 500 bucks,, wow..   Thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arvey

The last few yrs I've used the Comisary with good luck so i'll stick with them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now