• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Truenorth

Chub lake / Thompson lake (trail access)??

Truenorth

Hey everyone, so I tried out chub lake yesterday ice fishing with little luck at various depths and different areas of the lake.. there were a few groups of people out who caught a couple small specks but nothing too big at all. I am looking to get into Thompson lake for next weekend its in behind chub would anyone know where the trail is to get into that lake by sled ?? Been trying different lakes every weekend to see what's producing fish most lakes ive tried far have been fast paced with small fish that go back or slow going with a couple decent sized fish for the whole day lol..  so going keep trying lakes and hopefully find that happy medium ..

Some Old Guy

Chub lake is such easy access that it gets hit very hard from the very start of ice fishing.

Thompson lake is accessed at the end of Hunter Lane. But you have to sled through private property. And it can become very confusing in there because of the maple tapping that goes on and the amount of switch back and turn arounds of the snow machine trails can sometimes leave you going around it circles if it's your first time there. There is/was another way years ago but it has been logged over and I couldn't even begin to remember that trail!

Roger

• Like 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Truenorth

Truenorth
1 minute ago, Truenorth said:

Ok thanks for the quick response . I will stay clear of that lake as I don't like trespassing through private property to get to lakes ..i will check out the crown land maps app and see if there's another way around it through logging roads without getting onto private land.

Thanks again.

arvey
51 minutes ago, Truenorth said:

Hey everyone, so I tried out chub lake yesterday ice fishing with little luck at various depths and different areas of the lake.. there were a few groups of people out who caught a couple small specks but nothing too big at all. I am looking to get into Thompson lake for next weekend its in behind chub would anyone know where the trail is to get into that lake by sled ?? Been trying different lakes every weekend to see what's producing fish most lakes ive tried far have been fast paced with small fish that go back or slow going with a couple decent sized fish for the whole day lol..  so going keep trying lakes and hopefully find that happy medium ..

I was there too caught 2 real quick 1 around 12'' the other 10 then it died . I was surprised the guy across from me caught a sucker. I was the one with the sled. 

Some Old Guy

I met ya on Chub Lake this evening. I went to the trail into Thompson and right at the start of the trail are a red dot on either side of the entrance. 

Roger

RatherBeFishin

The way i fish stocked lakes in the winter is by checking the book and heading to the farthest or toughest accesable. If i dont succed at first i usually head back a few more times. As they seem very hit or miss sometimes. Have had pretty good success working it that way. Biggest i have caught out of a stocked lake thus far is 4.75 pounds. Also have lots of luck in real shallow water. Took us 7 hours to break trail one year. But payout was well worth it ! 

arvey

I have family members who live and fish there according to them the trail is the border of the pp and there is a land use agreement in place to use the trail. the maple syrup person has a land use for what they do on the crown land . I have never fished there i'm only relating what I was told.

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

Maybe it's a border trail not sure but the red dots are on both sides at the entrance of the trail. I'll grab a picture of it next time I go by.

Roger

Truenorth

Yes sir good meeting you on chub lake yesterday Roger ! So found out on the crown land site.. the first part of the trail is private and rest is crown land, talked with a few people and apparently it's alright to pass through the guy doesn't mind. All hear say tho .. here's the site to see, helped me out lots over the years hunting and fishing..  https://www.ontario.ca/page/crown-land-use-policy-atlas

• Like 1

Superiormobile

I see Thompson on a map,,, Where is Chub. I am new to speck fishing and been going through the list on the MNR site. Trying some place new every trip out.

Thanks

• Like 1

Truenorth

Chub is in behind the firehall .  Park on the road and walk down the road to the right (looks  like a private drive ) follow it and will take u to the lake on the left