• Donate to T.B.F.

Help me out here folks! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

5% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Wopfisher

Electric ice augers

Wopfisher

I’m in the market for a new ice auger currently I️ own a jiffy and I’ve had a lot of problems since I️ have bought I️t I️ was looking at the ion augers was just curious if anyone has used these in our area and how well they work with 3 feet of ice and slush 

AB

I work for a company that builds ice roads in the Yukon, NWT and Nunavut. Part of the construction process is flooding ice crossings. You need at least 36" of hard blue ice for commercial loads to cross.

We went to the Ion augers 2 yrs ago and haven't looked back. We had a lot of different gas powered augerd and got fed up with their problems. No problems with the Ion's. 

We keep a couple spare batteries in the flood trucks as we might be drilling a hole every 25 meters on crossings over a kilometer. You get you about 1000" out of a battery as advertised.

If it wasn't for the $700 price tag I'd dump my jiffy tomorrow...but it still runs once I get it started.

AB

johnr

I own a StrikeMaster electric lazer . Ive had it for 4 years now and am on my second battery and still using the original blades I bought the extension, spare blades and it comes with a remote cord [has a switch for internal power or external ] I have used it once every two weeks on average but drill only an average of 8 holes per trip . You must drill and extract the clippings every foot [more if its slush] as well as manipulate the auger when you are just about to break thru. The torque is no where close to the gas augers. This auger gets a rating of 10/10 from me for my application which is an argo with plenty of back up remote power, no gas to spill, no plugs or fouling to deal with, very quiet and I have nothing but time! Don't expect to race a gas fired auger and make sure to carry a spare battery {$35 } if you are going to drill 20 plus holes. BTW...it also came with a 12 volt charger. Hope this helps 

Zackcorbin1401

I’m also thinking going to ion next year I’ve talked to many guys and I’ve never heard a problem with them. The new ion x 8” can drill 1600” ice on a battery which is more than I drill on average

eddylives

Has anyone here tried to adapt an auger to a 1/2 inch cordless drill like a dewalt brushless?

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Mossberg81

Love my ion. Hands down the best. 

Zackcorbin1401
On 2018-02-10 at 2:03 PM, eddylives said:

Has anyone here tried to adapt an auger to a 1/2 inch cordless drill like a dewalt brushless?

It works well, you want to use the most powerfull drill possible and you get a lot more holes out of a 6” over an 8”but mostly depends on your battery. Dnr sells an adapter to attach your hand auger to a drill for 15$

chopper

i have the ionX. love it. 

Wopfisher

Thank you good to hear some reviews from locals definitely gonna have to invest in one in the near future 

Steinhoff

I have an ion x. I love it for the fact that there is no exhaust fumes in the tent after drilling holes and it is considerably lighter than my jiffy. A few draw backs though. As mentioned above it is considerably slower than a gas auger and you have to make sure to keep your battery warm. I went out last weekend and had the auger packed in the truck the night before. When I got set up and went to drill my holes the light turned on but the auger didn’t turn. Had to warm the battery in the truck for about ten minutes. After that good to go. 

Some Old Guy

That would be nice to have no exhaust fumes! My Eskimo Auger runs pretty good but it can smoke out an enclosed area!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!