• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Crankbait hooks treble vs single

Bobber Down

Was thinking about changing some treble hooks on my crankbaits to single hooks. Anyone have experience doing this? Any issues you have noticed? Should I worry about hookups? What brand, style, width or length should I be looking for. Thanks in advance for your input.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Some Old Guy

I tried that and the single hook at the front of the bait rides up against the body of the bait rendering it almost useless.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

MetalFishing

Treble hooks. I had switched my lures to single hook barbless when I was in BC a few months last year. First lake trout I lost switched back to trebs

Bear

Always use trebles.  Change all my baits to Triple Grips, better hookups, less fish get off. 

Bear

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I'd say single hooks would result in way less fish hooked up. And isnt that the point of fishing .. I've  removed hooks on some baits. Often Husky jerk or shadow rap with 3 hooks. And sometimes run a single treble hook when fishing weeds and wood. 

Sebile makes cranks with a single hook I have some. . They are snagless.  

Screenshot_2018-02-11-14-47-32.png

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Trevor Zimak

I think you should throw those lures ALL THE TIME Ryan! They look pretty good.

arvey

Things sure have changed from yester years , here's a pic. of a I believe a Heddon 5 hook . Manufactures were big into hooks and props not only surface but also sub surface now a days it's as few hooks as possible .

s-l225UMGEAY6L.jpg

Bobber Down

Looks like a great example of the Heddon Dowagiac Underwater Minnow Lure #150 Rainbow released in the early 1900's. It should be marked on both propeller's and on the belly if it is a Heddon.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

arvey

I got the pic. off of ebay to show an example but I do believe your right. Usually all the Heddons are marked on the belly at least the ones I have in my collection are.