• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
eddylives

Inflatable PFD's

eddylives

I would appreciate any input from users of inflatable pfd's.

What make/style would you recommend for use when mainly fishing?

I am leaning towards an automatic inflation so far for obvious reasons but I am not sure which style or brand is the most user friendly/light etc.

I am guilty of not wearing a life jacket quite often in the boat while fishing and have decided that this would keep me from possibly becoming a statistic.....

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Davis Viehbeck

Mustang makes a fantastic product.  I've been wearing them for years. Whatever you decide, make sure to make sure it's Canada Coast Guard approved.  Automatic is the only option for safety.  Don't get hung up by people saying they go off in the rain.  I've yet to have that happen.

Retriever

I've owned a Mustang Survival automatic inflatable PFD (model MD3054) for at least 7 years.

It seemed expensive when I purchased it but that actually encouraged me to put it on every time I was in a boat. It has become as natural as putting on my seatbelt now. Actually feel much safer especially in rougher water. 

I like the see through inflator service window which tells you when you need to replace the  CO 2 cylinder. It's still registering green. The neoprene collar is comfortable and it fits nicely for a larger guy. 

It's like 4 wheel drive...once you use it you wont go back to 2 WD. 

bwkre

Not sure what brand I got, kids bought it for me for my birthday from Canadian Tire. Certainly more comfortable than a life jacket but you have to wear it all the time in an open boat. It is automatic  but can be manually activated with a pull cord. It also has a manual inflation tube so it can be filled by blowing it up like a balloon. The automatic trigger is well covered and requires submersion in water to activate it.

FYI : the co 2 cylinders expire. They are to be replaced every year if the PFD is rented and every three years for personal use.  So I wouldn't waste money buying a spare co 2 cause it will expire the same time as the one in use.( assuming you don't set it off). Keep a spare life jacket instead, you probably already have one.

eddylives

Thanks for the input guys.

I am going to look at the mustang models for this up coming soft water season.

They carry some at SPI along with the recharge kits

Now I did read that they are to be worn as the top layer so I am wondering how they would be worn under a floater coat on those cooler days when it is put on and off multiple times a day?

dunnhuntin

I think an inflatable has to be worn outside your coat to work properly. When they deploy they expand to a much larger size. The jacket may prevent it from expanding out , so all that pressure would be on your chest making it tough to breathe.

eddylives

Yes I believe you are right.

I may just try a trial inflation manually to see how it fits with the XXL size floater coat

Retriever

BWKRE...Thanks for the info about the CO2 cylinder expiry.

When I read the cylinder pouch container it said "service if red".

I still had a quarter green so assumed I had some more time left on the cylinder.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Yes and I would get the mustang and be sure to get the HIT systems . The hydrostatic deploy.

I had a dissolving pill model that seemed to randomly detonate. If i put it away wet or even parked boat inside garage with wet carpet. After 3-4 erruptions and wasted refills I got a Mustang hydrostatic.

1 full season always one me or hanging on steering wheel when im docked. And not a hiccup. Well worth the investment.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

bwkre
1 hour ago, Retriever said:

BWKRE...Thanks for the info about the CO2 cylinder expiry.

When I read the cylinder pouch container it said "service if red".

I still had a quarter green so assumed I had some more time left on the cylinder.

The red/green indicator only indicates if the co 2 cylinder has been used. Green indicates the cylinder is full, ready to use, and red indicates the cylinder has been used. There is no in between or percentage or time.

Once a cylinder has expired, as stamped on the cylinder, it is supposed to be changed.

"service if red" would indicate that the system was activated, either manually or automatically. The cylinder is empty.