• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bubba John

Reels for ice fishing.

Bubba John

I have to say this after getting sucked into buying ice rod combos. I always buy an ice rod combo and I think I'm getting a great deal on what I'm buying. I just mostly check out the rod and if I like it I buy it. I ALWAYS get screwed on the reel. These reels seem to have no quality to them at all. They fail every time or the line that comes pre spooled is garbage. Do you guys buy the rods and reels separately? I'm going to do them each on their own now. So what reels do you guys/gals find the best for ice fishing, I also want to try to stay between 50 and 100 bucks. Thanks.

The_Outdoorsman

I agree, those small reels are absolute trash. Starting last year I have begun to use summer fishing reels instead. Bigger, line stays on better, drag works, reel handle can be used with gloves on, they dont seize/freeze up as easy. For this winter I bought 2 cheap quantum reels from canadian tire. They were regular $30 on for $15. Havent had a problem with them.

• Like 1

MetalFishing

Pflueger has lasted years. Use it year round. Shakespeare deceiver as well 

ottoman82

If you are using your summer reels and you find that the grease binds up once cold enough you can clean them out and use Quantum Hot Sauce.  D&R sells it.  It has a better viscosity in the colder weather.  Cheers.