• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Retriever

Fish photographs

Retriever

I've seen some great pictures of walleye on this site.  In many of them the dorsal fin is nicely portrayed.

Is there any secret to get the dorsal fin to stand up or is it just luck that one captures that classic photo?

Bobber Down

Good question! For me when I catch a picture worthy Walleye the thrill gives way to making sure to release it safely, quickly and in good condition asap. I never think about whether the fin is up or even take the time to try and get the fin up. When I look at Walleye  pictures  it does look better with the fin up that's for sure. This question has also been asked on other fishing forums and the consensus seems to be either slide your hand under the gill plate and apply pressure outward or tickle/rub the belly. Makes all fins stand up. Could be just luck and timing.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Domer

If u hold a fish with its belly flat in ur hand they will not flop around and will almost always keep their dorsal up

Retriever

Thanks for the good suggestions. I'm anxious to give it a try the next time I release a big walleye. 

sinker7

Touch the walleye on its gill plates, cheeks or on the upper portion of the back and it will raise it's dorsal fin as a reflex if it is healthy and not too tired.