• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Canoehead

What's your opinion on ultralight travel trailers

Mr. Canoehead

Hey guys I'm starting to shop for a new camper for my family and I this year. Probably will be used, something around 25'. Will be pulling it with my Ram 1500 5.7. First time buying a travel trailer.

It seems like an ultralight would bring the weight down to be more reasonable instead of maxed out, maybe we could actually travel with it instead of just local trips to the lake. 

Some things I have read say that ultralight are cheap junk and fall apart. I wonder how that would pan out on our rough logging roads we have here. 

Any opinions from those with experience?

levi64

I would agree ultra lights are made cheaper. Unless I only had a van to pull one, I would stay away from ultra lights. You have a truck with a v-8 why are you worried about weight on a 25 footer?  I know the newer 1/2 tons have coils and sag out from alittle hitch weight, but put an air bag in the coil (30 min job)the truck should be able to pull a 25 footer with slides easily. I don't know the weights for a half ton, i have a one ton, but if that dodge with a hemi is maxed out with a 25 foot trailer, sell it. Check out your tow weights and hitch weights for that truck, I think you are underrating your truck. My buddy has a 1/2 ton dodge and hauls a 28 footer with slides, no issues. Just make sure you get the stablizer hitch with whatever you buy and put a trailer brake in your truck.

Mr. Canoehead

Thanks for the input Levi. I see your point but on the other hand im hoping to avoid maxing out my capacity for to keep it safe for the family and easy on the truck on a road trip. I do have oversized tires Just over 35". Maybe you'e right though. 

levi64
2 hours ago, Mr. Canoehead said:

Thanks for the input Levi. I see your point but on the other hand im hoping to avoid maxing out my capacity for to keep it safe for the family and easy on the truck on a road trip. I do have oversized tires Just over 35". Maybe you'e right though. 

Yeah, its just my two cents, I understand your concerns.  I"m sure you will get lots of guys chiming in here, has to be all kinds with half tons who pull.  Good luck with your decision, I'm sure whatever you decide on your family will love it and have tons of fun and memories.

Buck 120

I am also considering a travel trailer.  I also have a Ram 1500 5.7  Mr. Canoehead, let us know what you end up going with or what our research results are.  :)

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Adrian

When pulling a trailer, you may want to make sure of a couple things.  Check the owners manual for your truck to see the max towing weight, and tongue weight. 

The towing capacity is greatly affected by axle ratio (and changing to larger tires really reduces your towing capacity because it makes your overall gearing equate to a lower gear ratio thus less pulling power).   A common differential ratio is 3.55:1, but for pulling trailers, a 3.73:1 or a 4.11:1 are much better choices, and some trucks have a 3.43 or a 3.23 which gives you greater fuel mileage but end up with poor pulling capacity. 

When you are pulling a trailer, a rule of thumb is tongue weight is about 10% of total trailer weight.  So if your trailer is 5000 lbs, you should have 500 lbs on the hitch.  Make sure your truck can handle this.  You can buy a 1/2 ton with towing capacity of 10,000 lbs and one that looks exactly the same that can only pull 5000 lbs.  This is set by GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).  I have a 1/2 ton dodge with a 5.7 and a GVWR of 7700 lbs.  My buddies looks exactly the same as mine, same tires, same engine, different trans. and his GVWR is only 6900 lbs.  It is worth doing a little research into your truck (your dealer can help a lot if you are not sure) before you buy a trailer.  Once you know your limits, you can comfortably buy a trailer that will not tax your truck.  it would be a shame to get a nice trailer only to find that your truck will not safely pull it.  Just because someone says they pull their 28 ft trailer with a 1/2 ton, that means nothing....what is the GVWR and what is the towing capacity.  Also you may want to consider extra transmission cooling.

• Like 1

levi64
13 hours ago, Adrian said:

When pulling a trailer, you may want to make sure of a couple things.  Check the owners manual for your truck to see the max towing weight, and tongue weight. 

The towing capacity is greatly affected by axle ratio (and changing to larger tires really reduces your towing capacity because it makes your overall gearing equate to a lower gear ratio thus less pulling power).   A common differential ratio is 3.55:1, but for pulling trailers, a 3.73:1 or a 4.11:1 are much better choices, and some trucks have a 3.43 or a 3.23 which gives you greater fuel mileage but end up with poor pulling capacity. 

When you are pulling a trailer, a rule of thumb is tongue weight is about 10% of total trailer weight.  So if your trailer is 5000 lbs, you should have 500 lbs on the hitch.  Make sure your truck can handle this.  You can buy a 1/2 ton with towing capacity of 10,000 lbs and one that looks exactly the same that can only pull 5000 lbs.  This is set by GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).  I have a 1/2 ton dodge with a 5.7 and a GVWR of 7700 lbs.  My buddies looks exactly the same as mine, same tires, same engine, different trans. and his GVWR is only 6900 lbs.  It is worth doing a little research into your truck (your dealer can help a lot if you are not sure) before you buy a trailer.  Once you know your limits, you can comfortably buy a trailer that will not tax your truck.  it would be a shame to get a nice trailer only to find that your truck will not safely pull it.  Just because someone says they pull their 28 ft trailer with a 1/2 ton, that means nothing....what is the GVWR and what is the towing capacity.  Also you may want to consider extra transmission cooling.

Sounds like Mr.Canoehead knows about his payloads for his truck , says he doesn't want to max it out, as by his request he is looking more for information on ultra lights, which no one has given any, which i'm more surprised by, there must be a ton of guys on here who have some knowledge with  ultra lights that can give him some Useful imput.. By the way if your giving tips, don't forget about weather or not its a regular cab, crew, or quad ,makes a difference, what size box is on the truck, is it a 2WD or 4 X 4? Is the vehicle equiped with an aftermarket hitch? The Op has oversize tires on his particular truck,  lift kit will change everything, which type of lift kit, shocks, springs, some kits make big differences in  regards to body roll, may need to install airbags to tighten it up ? Gearing also includes 392,321, and if you get 411 axle ratio you better be pulling alot and don't mind driving empty at high rpms and putting fuel in your vehicle often wheater you are pulling or not.  Does it have the high speed low drag paint?:o What about tires, 6 ply or go to 10 ply to be sure with the extra weight? Don't forget the number one rule of towing,, having and excellant trailer brake. But he is not buying a truck ,he already has one. Just consider your max towing weight and being a rational person make a decision as far as what you are looking for in a trailer and what you want to pull and feel comfortable with. You can find you towing capicity on the door sticker, veh manual or online, but im sure you already know that. 

Adrain....When i said my buddy pulls a 28 ft with no issues i should have know someone would jump in with their vast array of information and thats fine, but don't get on your high horse and say it means nothing.  I think him pulling a 28 footer with slides does mean something Adrain or i wouldn't have said it. It gives a measuring stick of what the dodge half ton can do, yes of course different tranny, motors, etc, etc. ( there is no end to the factors)  It may mean nothing to you, but your not the guy asking. I believe Mr. Canoehead is an intelligent man and knows about his own particular vehicle capacities and he stated he wants to advoid maxing them out, he also understands that lift kits or larger tires play a role in his towing ability, so me telling him about a friend who tows a 28 foot trailer is, im sure a help to him if he is looking in the 25 foot range. He may want to look at an ulta weight in that size, knowing of course his towing capicity. 

If you know anything about ultra lights, i'm sure Mr. Canoehead would appreciate it, that was the orginal thread. 

Mr. Canoehead

it will be my first towable camper and the by far the biggest trailer I've driven with so any food for thought is good.  I haven't bought anything yet but I am leaning towards an ultralight.  So far I have learned that they are not all equal so saying they are all cheap doesn't make sense, some are well constructed and those ones usually cost more new.

Adrian, I didn't realize there was such a variance in towing capacity of a half ton. So I called Lakehead motors with my vin and they told me my axle ratios are 3.92 and my max towing capacity is 8500.  They couldn't tell me my tongue weight.  So at least I have a lower gear ratio than most.  I'm looking for a calculator to tell me my corrected ratio with taller tires but if I can't find one i will have to jack her up, mark the driveshaft and count revolutions while someone else turns the tire and counts the tire revolutions, and then I can know what actual ratio is.

As for lift I just have a 2" front level kit with the tallest tires I could squeeze under there. 295/65/20 and they are 10 ply. I think I will go with airbags for the back or possibly shackle extensions or just a 1 or 2" block if I run out of money lol. I don't want to add a leaf because it already rides pretty rough on those 10 ply mud tires.

I haven't looked at many campers as there aren't really a lot on the used market right now.  I watched a guy blocking 4 lanes of traffic while backing up his 30" or so camper on river st the other day...had me thinking  about limiting the length of this puppy lol!

Thanks for the input guys I will post updates if I find anything. 

arvey

Does your truck have a tow haul mode ? I have a relative with a newer Dodge 1/2 ton with the hemi she towes a 20 ft regular trailer no problem and she uses an equalizer hitch witch really helps . hope this helps.

Adrian

To check your final ratio, you can drive with a hand held gps in your truck.  Read your speedo, and gps at 100 km/hr on your truck.  Look at the GPS.  Take the difference as a percentage and multiply that by your 3.92 ratio.  That will be your final ratio.

• Like 1

naden
8 hours ago, Mr. Canoehead said:

it will be my first towable camper and the by far the biggest trailer I've driven with so any food for thought is good.  I haven't bought anything yet but I am leaning towards an ultralight.  So far I have learned that they are not all equal so saying they are all cheap doesn't make sense, some are well constructed and those ones usually cost more new.

Adrian, I didn't realize there was such a variance in towing capacity of a half ton. So I called Lakehead motors with my vin and they told me my axle ratios are 3.92 and my max towing capacity is 8500.  They couldn't tell me my tongue weight.  So at least I have a lower gear ratio than most.  I'm looking for a calculator to tell me my corrected ratio with taller tires but if I can't find one i will have to jack her up, mark the driveshaft and count revolutions while someone else turns the tire and counts the tire revolutions, and then I can know what actual ratio is.

As for lift I just have a 2" front level kit with the tallest tires I could squeeze under there. 295/65/20 and they are 10 ply. I think I will go with airbags for the back or possibly shackle extensions or just a 1 or 2" block if I run out of money lol. I don't want to add a leaf because it already rides pretty rough on those 10 ply mud tires.

I haven't looked at many campers as there aren't really a lot on the used market right now.  I watched a guy blocking 4 lanes of traffic while backing up his 30" or so camper on river st the other day...had me thinking  about limiting the length of this puppy lol!

Thanks for the input guys I will post updates if I find anything. 

https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

My last truck had air bags with an on board compressor that could be used to adjust the airbags while driving, purchased it at SD truck springs.

Another option is Timbren springs, which don't affect your ride quality when unloaded.

• Like 1

Mr. Canoehead

So the bigger tires brings me to 3.68 Gear ratio. Still not bad.

Anyways after looking at a lot of models and their features/space vs. length and weight factors... I think what I 'm looking for is about a 21'-23' ultralight with a rear pop out queen bed.  I had never seen this setup before and it seems to be the best of both worlds. Queen bed on one end and bunk beds for the kids on the other along with a couch and kitchen table that we won't have to collapse every night for sleeping.  Without a rear pop out you are looking at a longer trailer if you want the "bunkhouse" set up. These trailers have dry weights around 3500lbs. I figure if I get something like that a long road trip will be a lot more doable. 

• Like 1

Adrian

I think you will like the hybrid trailer.  They are for sure light for the living space they offer.  Friends had one, and a really nice thing about them is the sleeping area has very large screened windows that you can open on those hot nights and get a lot of cooler fresh air into the sleeping area compared to a hard wall trailer with smaller windows.  The down side is it takes a lot more heat on cold nights, but I will pay for a little more propane to stay warm on a cool night if I can get a breeze on a hot night.   

The down side of hybrid trailers (like a tent trailer) is that if you are packing up to leave in the rain, you are putting wet canvas in the trailer, and when you get home you have to open the trailer up to be sure it dries out.  Nothing impossible.  

• Like 1

Mr. Canoehead

I'm actually trying to find one that has the rear slide out, so like a hybrid but without the canvas. 

Mr. Canoehead
27 minutes ago, naden said:

Yes exactly like that. For a family of 4 there are sleeping areas for everyone without collapsing the table or couch every night. That's all I was looking for out of a longer trailer that could weigh a lot more.

naden

I agree, the wife and I have been looking at trailers with a queen bed and bunks and 26 ft or larger seems to be the norm for that set up, a litttle longer and heavier than we would like.