• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

vesh_89

Targeting Whitefish

vesh_89

I was wondering if anyone could share some tips and tricks on targeting whitefish within a lake trout population, such as water depth, bait size, etc and where to find them in the water column. In the past I've just caught them randomly with no real pattern when fishing for lakers. Is it possible to hone in on these things or is it pretty much just luck of the draw?

RatherBeFishin

There was a thread on this last year. Im not sure how to bring up old threads. But it had some awesome info. Maybe someone knows how to find it ? 

pastor norm

Do a search "catching whitefish" and you will find a number of threads and posts.

My challenge catching whitefish isn't so much catching them as processing what I catch.  They are delicious smoked or baked or even fried. But removing the scales, skinning them, or lifting a clean fillet from the carcass is a pain in the a$$ sometimes.   PLus they stink ... like bad cucumbers.   I try to process the fish on the ice to avoid the scales at home so long as the weather cooperates.

Tips?

Bear

Use an electric filleting knife and fillet them like a walleye.  No muss no fuss, just nice clean fillets.

Bear

Thefishleclair

I have targeted white fish from 20-80 FOW. (The deeper ones are new to me) Ive used williams whitefish for most of them. I have also been thinking Lakers I see on my Flasher that come up and refuse my jigs but now I am not to Sure? My Step Bro ended up getting a whitefish in 64 FOW while we were laker fishing at Silver Harbour so I will be trying them spots again targeting just white fish and see what happens.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Zackcorbin1401
1 hour ago, Thefishleclair said:

I have targeted white fish from 20-80 FOW. (The deeper ones are new to me) Ive used williams whitefish for most of them. I have also been thinking Lakers I see on my Flasher that come up and refuse my jigs but now I am not to Sure? My Step Bro ended up getting a whitefish in 64 FOW while we were laker fishing at Silver Harbour so I will be trying them spots again targeting just white fish and see what happens.

I usually target whitefish in 60fow at silver harbour using vibratos.

scandiman

targeting whitefish isn't difficult if you know what they like to eat in any given body of water, and finding that corresponding water. I have had great success catching whitefish in the 20-40 FOW range and as a general rule, catch them on the bottom five to ten feet. When they are aggressive, there's not much that they won't inhale. When they are finicky, well that's a whole different ball game. As it was mentioned previously, try doing a forum search on whitefish tips and tricks and you'll find a wealth of knowledge.

The internet also holds a plethora of great articles and videos on targeting whitefish.

As for table fare, they are amongst the best out there IMHO. I personally, love the cucumber smell of a freshly caught whitie!

Scaling them isn't that bad as they have large scales and if you ask nicely, I'll let you in on a sweet little trick for scaling a fish in record time with not much effort.

• Like 1

pastor norm

Um...scandi.  I am asking you so nicely it isn't funny. 

Pretty please.

Some Old Guy

DAMMIT! I hate grovelling......

Please?!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

scandiman
On 2/23/2018 at 8:27 AM, pastor norm said:

Um...scandi.  I am asking you so nicely it isn't funny. 

Pretty please.

I've tried it, it's amazing!