• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

RatherBeFishin

Dead Sticking

RatherBeFishin

Does anyone here ever dead stick for lakers.  Looking for tips n tricks. Would like to try with some big baits to catch some lunkers. I see on youtube guys using 12” ciscoes. Do we have access to thoose here and can they be used ? Also. Do u have to match the bait in that certain lake or does it not overly matter ? Planning on using the quick strike rig approach. Also , do u need a jigging line beside to bring in fish in hopes of noticing the dead bait ? 

Thanks for any info ! 

• Like 1

ottoman82

I am going to try one of Gord Pyzer's techniques and see how it works out.  Check out the video he put out:

I have personally caught lake trout dead sticking using The Trigger from Black Fox Fishing.  I use a large sucker minnow on trebles in 20 to 40 FOW.  

Cheers 

Ottoman82

• Thanks 1

RatherBeFishin

Wicked video !! Thanks. Definitly gonna try that ! 

Dont tell our new trick to anyone else !!! 

🤣

Zackcorbin1401
5 hours ago, RatherBeFishin said:

Does anyone here ever dead stick for lakers.  Looking for tips n tricks. Would like to try with some big baits to catch some lunkers. I see on youtube guys using 12” ciscoes. Do we have access to thoose here and can they be used ? Also. Do u have to match the bait in that certain lake or does it not overly matter ? Planning on using the quick strike rig approach. Also , do u need a jigging line beside to bring in fish in hopes of noticing the dead bait ? 

Thanks for any info ! 

I think it would depend on the main forage in the lake, I use Cisco’s and lay them right on bottom or I use the trigger and suspend a live sucker that also works well, if regulations allow firebrined smelts work great to.

• Like 1

smokerscully1

I used to jig for lakers on both Jessie lake and at Rossport. 2 things I learned 1) a dead smelt always worked better than a live minnow and 2) lay a dead smelt right on the bottom.

i missed a lot of hits dead sticking and I didn’t realize why until I watched that video on you-tube—the guy with the 12 inch Ciscoe (tulibee). The fish seems to pick up the dead bait and then drop it to get it into position to swallow it. It’s real easy to pull the bait away from the fish by being too anxious and trying to set the hook too soon.

• Like 1

arvey

Yrs ago I use to fish lake trout only very little walleye if at all during the winter. one thing I use to do is when I got a hit on dead bait or live i'd have things set so there was slack line  when I got a hit there was no resistance let it run until it stopped that's when i'd set the hook. It was thought that the trout was inhaling the bait on the stop , a buddy of mine use to use dueling 3 prongs one up by the head and one further back and only skin hooked. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Tozer807

I personally use 8 to 10inch herring I buy from the superstore using a pike rig ( 2 trebles through the back ). Make sure to stab the herring a few times to bust the air bag & get it juicy lol. I caught this 15pounder & a few others the around the same weight last week using this technique 

IMG_20180311_155521_287.jpg

• Like 1

Tozer807

I used everything Uncut angling used in these videos. This is the 2nd of 3 videos but it shows you a great laker. Watch the 1st of the 3 videos & you'll be good 👌

• Like 1

RatherBeFishin

Deadly ! Thanks for the info !! Appreciate it. 

Thoose guys and fishing geeks are unreal. Seen all of there videos multiple times ! 

39 hours is sweet to if u havent seen it ? 

I will rewatch thoose for sure ! 

• Like 1

Tozer807
35 minutes ago, RatherBeFishin said:

Thoose guys and fishing geeks are unreal. Seen all of there videos multiple times ! 

35 minutes ago, RatherBeFishin said:

Man! Same here ! I can rewatch 39 hours and those laker vids all day and learn something new hahahaa

fisherdude

Uncut angling is the best fishing show/YouTube show out by a mile

• Like 2

RatherBeFishin

Agreed ! 

The fishing geeks are pretty deadly to ! 

I wish i lived near diefenbaker ! 

What are the odds that a trout farm breaks and they all escape into the lake and they then catch the world record there !! Come on now. Wheres our trout farm bust !! 

• Haha 1

RatherBeFishin

Just watched a new video uncut just put up tonight. Showing the garmin panoptix ice. Not a funny one. But informative. And man that thing looks wild ! Googled it and bass pro wants $1,799 american. Think my wife would hang me by the transucer cable !! One day though ! Lol

Jayfishin

A buddy just bought the Garmin Panoptix and has really been liking it on the ice! Might be time to switch from Lowrance this spring?! Some great prices online till month end....

ottoman82
On 14/03/2018 at 7:07 PM, fisherdude said:

Uncut angling is the best fishing show/YouTube show out by a mile

It is an awesome show but Aaron Wiebe better win a tournament this year because he is starting to get that homeless look.  Man that beard has gone wild haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

fisherdude

Yeah it’s Bonn growing for awhile haha