• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wolf

Centre pin vs. Spinning reels

Wolf

Anyone know if I can use a centre pin on a spinning reel? I Have read that some say they are the same and others have said to different rods. Was thinking around 9'6-10' range for rod length. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks Wolf

Bobber Down
1 hour ago, Wolf said:

Anyone know if I can use a centre pin on a spinning reel? I Have read that some say they are the same and others have said to different rods. Was thinking around 9'6-10' range for rod length. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks Wolf

I don't see why not. Do what You think is best for your needs.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

James01

I don't know if I understand the question.... centre pin rod with a spinning reel? Or, centre pin reel on a spinning rod. I use a centre pin reel on a spinning rod: Amundson Steelhead Tracker on a 9' moderate-medium action Fenwick HMX. It works fine. I tend to do most of my steelheading in creeks and small rivers, so I like the 9' rod... and even then, it is a little long at times. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Wolf
18 minutes ago, James01 said:

I don't know if I understand the question.... centre pin rod with a spinning reel? Or, centre pin reel on a spinning rod. I use a centre pin reel on a spinning rod: Amundson Steelhead Tracker on a 9' moderate-medium action Fenwick HMX. It works fine. I tend to do most of my steelheading in creeks, so I like the 9' rod... and even then, it is a little long at times. 

I am trying figure out if they are the same rods and just different reels. If I understand right they are the same rods but a centrepin will have a rod where the actions creates a c shape at full flex where as the spinning rod blanks will be a little stiffer and less for the c shape at full flex? If that makes sense? I don’t want to go to big as I tend to have to net the fish solo. I have been recommended by friends that 9-10 would be a good size? I fished steelhead the past 3 years with a 6’ walleye rod and looking to get a more steelhead specific setup

James01
2 hours ago, Wolf said:

I am trying figure out if they are the same rods and just different reels. If I understand right they are the same rods but a centrepin will have a rod where the actions creates a c shape at full flex where as the spinning rod blanks will be a little stiffer and less for the c shape at full flex? If that makes sense? I don’t want to go to big as I tend to have to net the fish solo. I have been recommended by friends that 9-10 would be a good size? I fished steelhead the past 3 years with a 6’ walleye rod and looking to get a more steelhead specific setup

I was in the exact position you are a few years back... I used one of my walleye rods for a season or two, but eventually I switched to a spinning reel with the rod I mentioned, then a center pin reel with the same rod. I find the longer rod makes a big difference in terms of fighting and controlling fish. 

I like my rod (see my earlier post)... but I like a stiffer action. I went to a center pin reel because I find spinning reels, even the quality reels I use, were a little intermittent with the drag - I think "intermittent" is a suitable word for what I am trying to describe. Which makes sense giving the way line comes off a spinning reel. The center pin took a little to get used to, but I am more confident with it when a big steelie is running down river. 

If I only fished big rivers for steelhead and salmon, I would probably consider a longer rod. But 9' is fine for the places I like to fish. I drift roe bags, and I have no problem on the MacIntyre with the 9'.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

brookiebuster

I use a spinning reel on a 9ft medium light float rod works great. 

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Bobber Down

I also use a spinning reel on a 9'8" medium light g loomis salmon steelhead rod. A quality rod n reel will do a lot of the work for you. I like the reel closer to the butt so the sk (Skeena option)see pic, works for me. If you have the money and can afford to pamper yourself a bit go for it, you won't regret it.

As far as rods bending into a c shape at full flex, see the screen shot I included. It's just an off the shelf 7 ft 2pc medium rod high modulus extra light graphite construction from D&R. Paid either $59 or $89 cant remember which. The rod handled more than a few 20 pound plus salmon just fine last year. It does have a quality reel on it though. It's not a 9 footer but better than a 6 footer and less likely to get hung up in tight quarters or overhanging branches n such.

When I was a youngster I can't remember anyone using long rods, special reels an lines etc. We seem to have caught fish and did ok.

Screenshot (53).png

rod.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Wopfisher

I️ use a 8’6” rod with a spinning reel and I️t works perfect on the smaller rivers and creeks I️ probably wouldn’t go bigger then 9’ for myself 

James01

I like this conversation... steelhead season is coming. ;)

- Henry David Thoreau

Wolf

Looking at the fenwick hmx, nice price point. How’s yours holding up

9 hours ago, James01 said:

I like this conversation... steelhead season is coming. ;)

Looking forward to steelhead season as well :) 

James01

It's doing just fine

They have them at DnR.... at a good price

- Henry David Thoreau

Jack Fish

Any comments on using a center pin reel for ice fishing?

James01
12 hours ago, Jack Fish said:

Any comments on using a center pin reel for ice fishing?

I have considered it.... that is, if you are talking about true centerpins. The cost has kept me from doing so.

I have looked and pondered inexpensive fly reels... same idea as center pins.

I do use center pin type reels for icefishing and I have mixed feelings about them. They have a drag and clickers. They are made for ice fishing and handle iced up line. But I do have to contend with bird nests, tangled up lines, and I find them more difficult with small or light presentations. I prefer heavier baits with them

Hope that helps. 

- Henry David Thoreau

Jack Fish

Thanks Jame01. I just picked up a cheapo CLAM reel. I'm hoping I lose the line kink I get using the spinning reel. Time will tell.