• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mbusch1977

Trolling Motor Battery Charger

mbusch1977

I recently (late summer) bought a new to me boat ---- 2007 Tracker Pro Guide V16 with a 2009 Mercury Optimax Oil Injected 75. I am looking to have some wiring done. I want cables run from the Motor to the trolling motor battery so it charges while the Main Motor is running. I have a few friends that run this kind of system and they love it for extended day or weekend trips .... No worrying about trolling motor battery. 

I know there was a guy in town named Bob Maw that did some of these jobs ---- Does anyone have his number or know of someone else who does this kind of stuff? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

arvey
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, mbusch1977 said:

I recently (late summer) bought a new to me boat ---- 2007 Tracker Pro Guide V16 with a 2009 Mercury Optimax Oil Injected 75. I am looking to have some wiring done. I want cables run from the Motor to the trolling motor battery so it charges while the Main Motor is running. I have a few friends that run this kind of system and they love it for extended day or weekend trips .... No worrying about trolling motor battery. 

I know there was a guy in town named Bob Maw that did some of these jobs ---- Does anyone have his number or know of someone else who does this kind of stuff? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

I heard Mr. Maw is retired don't quote though. I do know you can buy a switch that does that can do what you want. Any marine dealer has them and are not complicated. Switch has #'s 1-2 or even 3 , your main battery is on 1 trolling motor battery on 2 . 1 is the battery you start your boat with  then you throw your switch on to 2 and your battery will get charged.  Hope this helps.

Newfisher

I have a switch in mine. It’s a #1, #2, and BOTH position switch. When running I have it on both so it charges both my starting and trolling batteries. When trolling I set it to #2. I keep #1 for my starting battery. 

Tomorrow ill I’ll take a pic of the switch. I picked up the switch at a bumper to bumper store. It’s not hard to hook up. Just gotta fish the wires through the boat in my case since my trolling battery is up front. 

Newfisher

Sorry for the late reply. Here is the switch I have. It is a Cole herse brand switch. 

863DA47E-78F6-4AB6-B54C-3E37758665C6.jpeg

toma-hawk

I know a guy that experimented hooking up a solar panel to the trolling motor battery and it seemed to be working out for him,he has it hooked up all the time 

Rick

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

minnkota sells a dc charger that does just that.

170$  for 24 volt. 12 volt is less. just bolts up.. needs one accesory wire spliced

having anoutboard charge a deep cycle can charge too fast and shorten lifespan of the battery.. deep cycles take long steady discharges and require the same type of charging.

starting batteries are designed for more amps in and out quickly.

i doubt most smaller outboards put out that juice from a stator .. but your optimax is 40+ amps alternator .like triple what you want to charge at.

i just installed minkotas dc charger for my rig.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President