• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

RatherBeFishin

Jiffy extension

RatherBeFishin

Im looking to purchase a extension for my jiffy auger. Anyone know if you can get them in town anywhere ? Or if other auger brands extensions work on a jiffy ? Any info helps. Not heading out till weekend after this coming. But wouldnt mind one. Just in case. Hate to travel 1.5 hours by truck then sled for 45 min all to come up short !! 

Ahahaha. 

JohnZ

A friend has a Jiffy auger, he bought an eskimo extension for his and it works. 

dunnhuntin

Most of the auger extensions are universal. D&R still had some last time I was there but that was 2 weeks ago.

Tozer807

I bought my jiffy extention from Canadian tire on Arthur not too long ago!

RatherBeFishin
6 minutes ago, Tozer807 said:

I bought my jiffy extention from Canadian tire on Arthur not too long ago!

Sweet. I was just looking at one there. Think it was only $29 or something like. It was green. Was that the one u got ? 

Wolf
3 hours ago, RatherBeFishin said:

Im looking to purchase a extension for my jiffy auger. Anyone know if you can get them in town anywhere ? Or if other auger brands extensions work on a jiffy ? Any info helps. Not heading out till weekend after this coming. But wouldnt mind one. Just in case. Hate to travel 1.5 hours by truck then sled for 45 min all to come up short !! 

Ahahaha. 

We have two augers. A strike master cobra and a jiffy model 30. The extensions are the same but the auger bits are different

AB

I have a Jiffy model 30 and the Jiffy Extension. Works great!

When you get an extension that fits, what ever the brand, give it a shot of good quality penetrating oil before you assemble it in you auger to make it easier to take apart.

My Jiffy extension has two working lengths, 6 inches and 12". You just slide it in and out depending on the length you need. Of course its metal and its going to get wet so there will be some corrosion over time. Pre-coating with penetrating oil will slow this corrosion down and make adjustment a lot easier when you are out on the ice and find yourself coming up a bit short near the bottom of the hole.

You can fight an iced up extension by warming it when you are out on the ice, but two pieces of metal rusted together is a lot more challenging (and frustrating too!)

Another thing to remember when  you use an extension, once you drill down far enough that the curls are below the top of the hole, lift the auger up on the run to throw the accumulating ice shavings clear of the hole. The curls are there to lift the cuttings up and away. Many times this winter I've watched other anglers fighting to remove the  auger that has been trapped in the ice cuttings when the pilot hole cuts through and water and rushes up into the shavings, freezing almost instantly.

Just a couple of tips from experience picked up the hard way. 

Tight lines everyone!

AB

MetalFishing

Anyone know if jiffy makes two blade augers? I have a single blade and was lookin for upgrade but haven’t had luck

eyelander

"Another thing to remember when  you use an extension, once you drill down far enough that the curls are below the top of the hole, lift the auger up on the run to throw the accumulating ice shavings clear of the hole. "

EXACTLY!!!!

I do this without having to use the extension. I also do it with my manual auger.

I learned to do this especially when there is slush on top of the ice after watching a guy drill through with his manual auger and could not pull it back up out of the hole. He tried to back it out and it eventually came free, but it was only the top handle portion he got back. It unscrewed from the auger portion unfortunately and he could not align it back into the bolt hole to try to retrieve the lower auger portion.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance