• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

RatherBeFishin

Bradley Smoker

RatherBeFishin

Just picked up the original electric bradley smoker. Have some whitefish and herring i would like to try. Never smoked anything before. Have hickory and mesquite pucks. Would anyone happen to have a brine recipe for whities that i could try ? 

Thanks ! 

eddylives
SMOKED FISH (Dry Smoking)  
10 lbs. fish fillets (1/2 inch thick)

BRINE:

(May be reduced by 1/2 for less fish) 3 c. curing salt (canning and pickling) 2 c. white sugar 1 c. brown sugar 4 tbsp. black pepper 2 tsp. garlic powder

In a crock or plastic bucket, thoroughly mix brine until sugars and salt are dissolved. Place fish in brine without overcrowding, weight down with plate to keep fish under brine. Soak fish overnight (at least 8 hours). Remove fish and wash thoroughly to remove brine, pat dry with paper towels. Place fish on racks to air dry for 1 hour.

Plug in your dry smoker (Little Chief, Outers, etc.). After drying, add additional seasonings to fish (I mix brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper or black pepper, Do Not Use Anything Containing Salt).

Place fish on smoker racks and place in the smoker. Add dry hickory powder (oak, fruit woods, maple or willow may be used but it must be dry) to the smoker pan, replenishing every two hours. Also, alternate racks for even cooking.

Cooking times will vary depending on weather and temperature of cooker. Start checking meat after 6 hours. When done most fish will have a bronzed color and meat will be gray. Break a piece to see if it's done in the center, fish will flake easily when done.

From cooks.com

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

arvey
34 minutes ago, RatherBeFishin said:

Just picked up the original electric bradley smoker. Have some whitefish and herring i would like to try. Never smoked anything before. Have hickory and mesquite pucks. Would anyone happen to have a brine recipe for whities that i could try ? 

Thanks ! 

here's one. I use it and it's good. 

1 gallon water / 3/4 cup dill / 1/4 cup parsley / 1/4 cup lemon juice / 1/2 tbl garlic mix all in a cln pail , pour in 1/2 cup coarse salt , mix but not to much don't dissolve salt. let fish soak over night.

toma-hawk

Have used this one for years, fillet fish leave skin on.  8 cups water,1cup salt,1/2 cup brown sugar,1oz. lemon juice, 1 tsp.garlic salt.put fish in brine for 2 hrs.Rinse (lightly)with fresh water' dry fish in paper towel (tapping lightly)smoke for 3 -4 hours,or to your liking. you can double or triple brine recipe to suit  number of fish your doing. 

Rick

Thefishleclair

one thing about bradlys is they keep feeding the pucks. I never filled mine with more then 4 then give it a few hours then add 4 more  so I would not get the Heavy smoke taste. I would smoke my fish for quite some time though. Around 12-18 hours on the lowest it would go and I would open the vent (Around 100 C ) I like mine a bit tough like jerky! but not brittle. it takes a few tries to get it to the way you like it.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

RatherBeFishin

Sweet. Thanks for tips and recipies. Got 2 whities and 2 herring in brine for overnight. Gonna smoke em tommorow !