• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Porkchop21

Smallest outboard with neutral gear?

Porkchop21

I am looking to buy a small outboard for those hard to get lakes but it must have at least the neutral gear. I use to have a 2hp honda but it was a pain without neutral and having to spin it all the way around to go in reverse. What is the smallest and lightest outboard you guys have seen with at least the neutral gear? I am open to suggestions! Thanks 

dunnhuntin

I have a 2.5 Suzuki at work with neutral and reverse. It seems to run well and it's pretty light for a 4 stroke,maybe 30lbs. I have an old 4hp Johnson that has a neutral gear and spins to reverse and weighs 35lbs, they also made it in 3hp.

• Like 1

eyelander

I have a 3.3 hp Mariner. Weighs 33 lbs. and spins around for reverse also. Jammed a piece of golf club tube on the tiller handle for use on my 12 ft. boat, take it off for use on my canoe. Forward and neutral are the only gears. Have had it for 20 + years.It is a 2 stroke so it uses mixed fuel and you have to pour it in as it does not have an external tank connection. When I need to fill it up when out fishing, I just go ashore to do that so I do not spill gas into the lake or river I am on.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

levi64

I have a 2.5 Merc 4 stroke, it has neutral but no reverse,, too small to need a reverse just spin it. I didn't think they had 4 strokes without neutreal. I've owned it for about 10 years bought new. never an issue and its used alot. Dragged and bounced around over logging roads and trails on the back of a 12 footer pulled by an ATV most times. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Porkchop21

ok thanks fellas. i didnt realize most 4 strokes these days of neutral, i will keep an  eye out for a suzuki or mercury 2.5, would rather buy used then new!