• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Tnot

Buying spawn/roe

Tnot

Long time lurker here, finally signed in.  I was wondering if anyone here has purchased spawn from either centrepin angling or any other Canadian website? If so, what was the quality of the product? Thanks in advance for any info.

RatherBeFishin

My buddy got some last year off center pin. Said it was deadly. Nice and solid roe. Didnt break with ease at all. He definitly reccomends. Me personally. I just went hog wild on trout beads .com this year. They are in at shoppers mail office now. Gotta go get em !! I usually keep one female to smoke and for eggs a year also. 

I know some people aint gonna like that. Lol. I call it 

“The End Of The Rainbow “ 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tnot

Great news, I will make an order. I spent the last couple springs trying to show my son how much fun steelheading is, but when you aren't very successful,  the "fun" part of the outings are few. Lol

We tried the beads and yarn, but with no success. Hopefully with with some spawn I will get him addicted to steelheading!!

shmanks

That’s where I order from and the eggs are great. I tie up all of them and then put about groups of 20 in plastic wrap and throw them in a freezer bag and freeze em, and when it’s time to fish I take out one of the packs and thaw it out before I go, works like a charm.  It’s all about presentation too I spent my first few years bottom bouncing with some success then switched to a float the last few years and always landed a few each outing. Make sure to use a fluorocarbon leader you can tie it to your line with a swivel or use a blood knot(I think that’s what it is called) and adjust some split shots depending on the flow of the river. Good luck hopefully the rivers will be fishable in april

Zackcorbin1401

I’ve used specked trout,steelhead and brown trout roe from fishheadscanada for the last few years now and it’s worked great never had any problems delivered fast aswell. Im really into the beads now I don’t think I will use much roe this year.

fishman1

Our water tends to be tanicky and off coloured, and our fish ar not pressured, so never a need to use floro leaders unless the water becomes low and clear.

JGriffin

Hi,  I was just wondering if anyone knows if anyone is selling spawn sacks?  I normally would get them from D & R but not sure where to get them now. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks!

Wopfisher

Center pin angling you can get pre tied row that comes in the pill jar just like dnr had I ordered from them this year and no complaints I don’t think anyone sells them in town

• Like 1

Snag???

I just had to place a order to Canadian tire. They had 8 jars of cheese flavour yellow which in color are as close as you can get. I’ve never had luck on red colour eggs but do well and they go for 7.99. I always use chartreuse netting and tip if tieing you’re own somewhere like needing you may wanna use 6 salmon eggs per sack, and maybe 4 for the Mack or mcvicker etc. Like fishman1 said it, water clarity helps. So good luck hope for pics from all tips.

• Like 1

JGriffin
15 minutes ago, Wopfisher said:

Center pin angling you can get pre tied row that comes in the pill jar just like dnr had I ordered from them this year and no complaints I don’t think anyone sells them in town

Right on thanks, just checked and they are sold out of the rainbow pre tied. You think the brown trout pre tied would work? But thanks for the info.

JGriffin
7 minutes ago, Snag??? said:

I just had to place a order to Canadian tire. They had 8 jars of cheese flavour yellow which in color are as close as you can get. I’ve never had luck on red colour eggs but do well and they go for 7.99. I always use chartreuse netting and tip if tieing you’re own somewhere like needing you may wanna use 6 salmon eggs per sack, and maybe 4 for the Mack or mcvicker etc. Like fishman1 said it, water clarity helps. So good luck hope for pics from all tips.

Right on thank you as well. Ya I might have to put an order in with C-tire, I bought a few jars before they closed and I just find the sacks to large, maybe if I can get some mesh I can just re tie them. But right on appreciate the advice.

fishman1

In the faster water, yarn flys is all you need, the fish have a fraction of a second to grab at it.

next time you're there, look at what the older experienced steel headersare using, , the guys that are putting up the numbers. Very very few use roe. It's simply not needed. 

• Thanks 1

Wopfisher
4 hours ago, JGriffin said:

Right on thanks, just checked and they are sold out of the rainbow pre tied. You think the brown trout pre tied would work? But thanks for the info.

The salmon pre tied works good that’s what I use... roe isn’t needed but it is nice to have beads and yarn flies work great 👍 

• Like 1

JGriffin

Right on, I went off that site dnr didnt have any pretied. Lol I need to learn to do my own but ya I went with the Salmon. Thanks for letting me know though.

• Like 1