• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Trevor Zimak

Ice Fishing May Long?

Trevor Zimak

Here is a picture of 59" of ice that was taken this weekend.  With the low temps for day time highs and double digit negative temperatures for the next two weeks.  It's safe to say we are on a hope and a prayer to be able to fish in our boats May long.... 

29064447_10156279328504100_4229651079200040891_o.jpg

• Like 2

Some Old Guy

Yeah no kidding. Still making ice!!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Fishbum

WTF!!!!!  :o  I thought zimmer's were afraid of ice!!! :ph34r:

• Like 2

RatherBeFishin

59” and not through yet. Lol. Didnt know u went to nunavut this weekend ! 

Been fishing many of times recently , superior , inland etc. havent needed an extension yet. Burry the auger but no extension. 37” total length of mine. I think i will fish my lakes may long. 

• Haha 1

Trevor Zimak

Photo is a picture of Lake of the Woods North end bud!

RatherBeFishin

Thats to bad for lotw. 

I will be in my boat !! 

Bud..😮

Trevor Zimak

I hope we all are! 

Resource Pimp

Wishful thinking doesn't melt ice :)  7 weeks till May long and the next 2 won't be loosing any ice if the forecast holds true. We will need a massive, lasting temperature rise in that last 5 weeks. just my opinion

• Like 1

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin
1 hour ago, Resource Pimp said:

Wishful thinking doesn't melt ice :)  7 weeks till May long and the next 2 won't be loosing any ice if the forecast holds true. We will need a massive, lasting temperature rise in that last 5 weeks. just my opinion

k here's my thoughts.

my opinion was that we lose ice even at temps below 0 .. not saying I'm right just my basic scientific knowledge.

try and follow my logic.

Air above the ice is well below 0 . water below the ice slightly  above 0 and warms to 4deg c as you near the bottom of a lake as water expands as it cools from 4 deg c to 0

water is a far better thermal conductor than air. if put a warm can of beer in a fridge and one  in cold water. the water will cool your beverage faster.

so the slightly warmer than 0c water under the ice has a much larger  thermal mass then the cold air above. the whole lake  underneath ice is above 0 always acting against the cold air above.

so I always thought the thicker the ice gets , the colder the air above the ice has to be to create new ice or even maintain ice thickness. as the cold must penetrate further as the ice wont be uniform temp it would be warmer closer to water .4ft of ice I'd would assume even at minus 15 the large thermal mass of ice under the lake would soften that lower ice . 

you can make ice as minus 2  but for it to get thick it's needs to bee much colder as you have to cool the whole lake. ice grows from bottom . so i am just assuming the opposite is true for melting.

so even though we won't ice out with temps below 0 we should still lose ice ??  water should erode the underside?? 

thoughts?

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

speckmaster
2 hours ago, Resource Pimp said:

RP You're the ice out expert so I'll go with your forecast 

• Like 1

arvey

Pending on the body of water Ratherbefishin is on if it has a good inflow he''ll probably be in the boat. Some lakes may be frozen over or partly it wouldn't be the first time. To go along with what Stud Muffin said when I thaw meat for supper like hamburger I unwrap and put it in a ziplock then in cold water , thaws faster then in open air.

#One

4 hours ago, Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin said:

k here's my thoughts.

my opinion was that we lose ice even at temps below 0 .. not saying I'm right just my basic scientific knowledge.

try and follow my logic.

Air above the ice is well below 0 . water below the ice slightly  above 0 and warms to 4deg c as you near the bottom of a lake as water expands as it cools from 4 deg c to 0

water is a far better thermal conductor than air. if put a warm can of beer in a fridge and one  in cold water. the water will cool your beverage faster.

so the slightly warmer than 0c water under the ice has a much larger  thermal mass then the cold air above. the whole lake  underneath ice is above 0 always acting against the cold air above.

so I always thought the thicker the ice gets , the colder the air above the ice has to be to create new ice or even maintain ice thickness. as the cold must penetrate further as the ice wont be uniform temp it would be warmer closer to water .4ft of ice I'd would assume even at minus 15 the large thermal mass of ice under the lake would soften that lower ice . 

you can make ice as minus 2  but for it to get thick it's needs to bee much colder as you have to cool the whole lake. ice grows from bottom . so i am just assuming the opposite is true for melting.

so even though we won't ice out with temps below 0 we should still lose ice ??  water should erode the underside?? 

thoughts?

I agree.  The sun penetrates the ice and the water under the ice melts more so then the surface of the ice late in the year.  One problem this year is we have good snow cover still so you need warm air temps to get rid of that first to allow full sun penetration.  Ice out will for sure be late this year.

Walleye Man

Adrian

If we get nice warm temps and a warm rain, ice will disappear quickly, but will cause flooding and wash outs....I am torn.... 

Thefishleclair

Warm winds hammer the surface, Melting snow floods the lakes and pools water on top to speed up surface melt, Lake "POPS" and the underside of the ice is melted away form all the new warmer water flooding in, when the Ice Candles its a sure sign that it will not be much longer.

That my experiance

Edited by Thefishleclair

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Trevor Zimak
On 3/29/2018 at 3:10 PM, Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin said:

k here's my thoughts.

try and follow my logic.

thoughts?

I stopped reading at "here's my thoughts"  hahahah :)

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

wow that's the nicest thing you  have ever said

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Lyle Reiner

Ill be on the water in 2 weeks in NWO too

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

speckmaster

So Resource Pimp, it's 13 days since your last post.  What are you thinking now for ice out?  Oh wise one. ;)

Resource Pimp

A little over 5 weeks to go and Shebandowan is in mid March conditions with no dramatic heat in the next 2weeks and overnight lows below freezing.  Dosn't look promising.................................

skidoboat.jpg

• Like 2

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Adrian

Hey Resource Pimp, who did the mod on your boat, do you think they would have time to do mine???

• Like 1