• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Walleeslayer

Fishing across the border

Walleeslayer

Just wondering if anyone has drove towards Duluth and if the rivers are flowing. Looking to go on an early trip before the run starts here I no this Is a touchy subject but I’m not asking for any Canadian secret spots just wanting a bit more info for the states before I go that way. Thanks ! 

Some Old Guy

You can buy their licence and I also think you have to buy a stamp or something to fish for steelhead there.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Thefishleclair

Sounds like a fun Idea! I know from previous conversations its a whole different ball game there. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

RLK
1 hour ago, Walleeslayer said:

Just wondering if anyone has drove towards Duluth and if the rivers are flowing. Looking to go on an early trip before the run starts here I no this Is a touchy subject but I’m not asking for any Canadian secret spots just wanting a bit more info for the states before I go that way. Thanks ! 

Was down last weekend. All rivers were still tight. Most of the lake was open.

Porter Ross

The rivers aren't flowing from Grand Marais to Two Harbors, not sure south of that, but i doubt it.

minntario

All of the rivers between the border and Duluth are frozen solid still. As stated earlier, you will of course need a MN fishing licence as well as a trout/salmon stamp to fish Lake Superior and its tributaries below the first barrier waterfall (usually pretty close to Hwy61). There's usually very little difference in the timing as far as break up between here and Duluth, but there is good fishing to be had across the border, although you'll often have a lot more company than you would on the Ontario side. Because of the currents and open expanse of lake, you'll often have open water along the shoreline most of the year south of Grand Portage...shore casting at the river mouths down there might get you some steelhead now, but I haven't tried it yet...hard to cast when your fingers are frozen and the line is constantly icing up!  

TroutHunter

I have seen a website regarding Minnesota North Shore Steelhead runs in the various rivers from Duluth up to the border.  Flow rates/volumes, temps, and species and number(s) caught, etc.... You can almost follow the run as it progresses north up the lake. I wish I could remember the website, a google search hasn't found it yet.  Do you have any knowledge on this @minntario??

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Wopfisher

I️ think this is the website trout hunter is referring to http://www.minnesotasteelheader.com/ I️ have also been wanting to go down there this year probably gonna be another couple weeks tho at least 

minntario

That is the best website I know of. Minnesota DNR website has some good info too. The Lester River on the east end of Duluth is usually the first place people start fishing, next weekend it might be good at the mouth. After that, the Knife, Split Rock, Baptism, and Temperance are usually good within a week or so - and from there up to the border within the following week. My favourite is the Split Rock between Beaver Bay and Two Harbors...good run, big parking area on the highway, nice trail along the river and a long stretch of fishable water. If you want early season trout, another good option is the breakwall in Two Harbors...loopers (Kamloops rainbows), coho, lakers, and the occasional steelhead. The lake is pretty much wide open there now...just watch for icy spots on the wall, you do not want to fall in!

Porter Ross

It looks like the split rock is blocked by its rock bar right now with the river filtering through...need a quick melt and/or big rain to blow it out or there might not be a run.  Other rivers may be in the same boat..  Due to record high lake levels and the October waves?  

minntario

Yeah, good point. Those storms last fall pushed a lot of rocks up onto the bars. Could be a tough year on a lot of rivers if they're jammed up after the thaw.