• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
James01

cigarette filters

James01

I stopped by Neste boat launch yesterday, and the area people sit and fish was covered in cigarette filters. I know they aren't all from people fishing, but I know some of them are. I was finding cigarette filters on the ice at Black Bay (so I know they are from fisherman), on the ice at Arrow, and Lac. I watch people fishing, just casually cast their filters on the ground. I also watch people toss them out of the windows of their vehicles. I don't understand why any of this is o.k. Any C.O./cop reading this, I hope you are ticketing people for littering that you find doing this.

Here is what I found out: 

The core of most cigarette filters, the part that looks like white cotton, is actually a form of plastic called cellulose acetate. By itself, cellulose acetate is very slow to degrade in our environment. Depending on the conditions of the area the cigarette butt is discarded in, it can take 18 months to 10 years for a cigarette filter to decompose. But that isn't the worst of it. Used cigarette filters are full of toxins, which can leach into the ground and waterways, damaging living organisms that come into contact with them. Most filters are discarded with bits of tobacco still attached to them as well, further polluting our environment with nicotine, which is poisonous. It's estimated that trillions of filters, filled with toxic chemicals from tobacco smoke, make their way into our environment as discarded waste yearly.

It goes without saying that the filters tossed on the ice end up in the lake. Those discarded on the banks eventually get washed into the water ways as well... and even if they don't, people discarding their filters are still littering, and it is disgusting. Just as it sucks to be out and find garbage on a lake, trail, or in the woods, it also sucks to find cigarette filters. Just because they are small doesn't mean its not littering. 

Roger, this probably needs to be in a different thread (I am not rewriting it though). Bump the post if need be.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

scandiman

I agree with everything you said James. It's disgusting, and I find it all the time out on Black Bay and I have a pretty good idea of some of the culprits too because they've spent a lot of time out there and smoke a ton of cigarettes. I also found a t-shirt, some other small garbage and a few piles of human sh**  in areas people were fishing. 

What a disgusting way to leave our resources. No respect.

Bobber Down

What do you mean by "covered"? I was there fishing yesterday between 2pm and 3pm and the area/dock/fishing/bench was as clean and clear as in the pic I took on the 8th. Did someone empty their ashtray on the dock area? Thunder Bay has a huge problem with people littering and dumping garbage any ol place it suits them that's for sure. Pic from the 8th

IMG_0337.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

James01

To the right of where you were... across the actual launch. It is a popular spot for people to park and fish.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

oyo

I smoke. I try to carry a portable pocket ashtray so I dont leave buts behind and I order biodegradable cigarette filters online, so worst case scenario I drop a smoke somewhere in the bush, it will break down relatively quick. No reason for people to litter like what the original poster described.

Human crap is also gross, people are awful.