• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

kaff

Bait shop

kaff

What do you figure about this?

My buddy went to bait shop, kakabeka falls, last week of walleye fishing, wanted 3 dozen minnows(suckers) all together had 3 people going fishing,  bait shop had lots of suckers, just got a load in, was told could only have 2 dozen as L- - - - told him he needed to have some for his other customers.    Ummm last time i checked it was first come first served.  As L- - - - told him he could not reserve any suckers, but talking with other people they were able to reserve them.   Won't be giving this place my business even thou i live in Kakabeka.

johnr

Voting doesn't have to be every two or four years !!!!! If your not happy with the product or service go elsewhere and tell others [ thats a vote you can make with impact immediately]. As a self employed business owner for 30 years the number one rule of thumb was " the customer is always right" When they are "not right" they will no longer be a customer ! Its tough enough to be in business with lots of customers, but , cutting your customers in half by turning them away for "potential customers" seems "chancy" . There are two sides to every story so the bait shop should be told of this and they should respond [a happy customer tells one person and a disgruntled customer tells ten] You may very well be a non preferred customer and if so I can help him with better excuses .. "BUT" ...If it turns out that he is another of the many morally superior and ethically elite business owners / politicians or bureaucrats  count me in on the voting process and thank you for telling me!!! 

arvey

I think this one is a tough call for the bait shop owner. On one hand Kaff is right first come first served on the other hand he had bait in reserve for somebody else . The shop owner looses a customer , if he were to sell the reserve bait and those customers show up and their bait is sold he looses a customer. He's between a rock and a hard place. 

Some Old Guy

So I'm not understanding this. 

You  were allowed 2 dozen because the rest of the suckers were reserved? Or because he wanted suckers to sell to other people "in case" they wanted them?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

levi64
13 minutes ago, Some Old Guy said:

So I'm not understanding this. 

You  were allowed 2 dozen because the rest of the suckers were reserved? Or because he wanted suckers to sell to other people "in case" they wanted them?

Roger

Either way I  would not go back, mainly because i personally don't agree with the whole reserved thing and if it was to ration bait then no way either.   I would have been really pissed off if i was told I couldn't have bait because its reserved for someone who is going to arrive at some later time in the day at their convience. Do bait shops do this because they are afraid they will not be able to sell off their bait??  They can't really think they are doing their customers a service which of course comes at the expense of other customers.  

kaff

I am pretty sure he wanted to save some suckers for other customers. i don't think all suckers were reserved. Does not matter  if you are a customer who is there on a regular basis or first time customer if you are there and there is abundance of suckers there should not be a limit. If he reserves suckers for his more regular customers than should be  the same for Joe Blow customer.

Some Old Guy

I have been on both ends. 

I have reserved bait (mostly has worked out for me) and it has been sold when I got there. But it happens. I had to settle for something else. 

I have shown up and it appeared they had lots of what I wanted but it was reserved.  I had to settle for something else. 

I do know this though, reserved bait sometimes doesn't get sold because the people that wanted it don't show up. It can be a risk to the retailer. 

Retailers that reserve bait and get a call to reserve it have no choice but to reserve it if they said they will reserve it. 

Im done saying reserve!

haha

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

johnr

To be clear...I read and understood KAFF to mean that he was told the seller was limiting sales  to 2 dozen per customer. I don't think he was even talking about reserved bait ! If the bait is reserved and all you have left is two dozen then say so !! Business is tough without making it worse.....try this...I'm sorry sir I only have two dozen left but your welcome to them if you like!

• Like 1

L J B

Interesting discussion!

Often, when a grocery store has a sale, they put a limit on how much of a specific product one person can buy. Should they be allowed to do this? They are probably trying to please many customers by allowing more people to " share the wealth ", or in this case, minnows.

I also know a L _ _ _ _ in Kekabeka who used to sell minnows. I have bought many minnows from him over the years. Nearing the end of ice season for walleye he would often ask if I needed minnows to let him know and he would save some for me. The bait shop was even kind enough to leave my bagged minnows at another nearby establishment if I was going fishing in the evening and would be picking up my minnows after regular hours.

I really appreciated this. It it something that really turned me into a loyal customer. Minnows promised. Minnows delivered.

I'm not saying I disagree with kaff's concerns. They are legitimate. 

I'm just giving a different perspective.

johnr

L J B ......you make a great point !!! Grocers do this all the time and specifically to be "fair" !! Kaff ...on the other hand drove to a destination specifically to buy minnows and "pay" immediately for what he expected to be as many minnows as he desired . If the grocer advertised a sale but didn't mention a limit and you drove to that destination to find out it was limited what would you do or say ? BTW...I don't have any skin in this game and I too am very interested in this topic. If the bait dealer chooses to turn away cash paying customers at the door in favor of accounts receivables by way of credit [reservations] they have every right to do so ! I specifically want to know before I leave town if i can get bait ...so till now ....I have never reserved bait ...but ...Kaff has made me think that I probably should and will if I can't get it my "traditional " way in town ! It may very well turn out to be the business model the bait stores prefer but thanks to Kaff for the advertisement !    

arvey

Reserving bait is like guaranteed sales for the dealer , which in turn gives him a heads up on how low he's getting and having to order more if he doesn't trap his own. The last thing a bait dealer wants to be doing is trying to buy bait at the last min. when it's hard to come by. On the other hand when it's the end of the season you don't want to much on hand in case sales are down . So  reserving orders is a guide line on how much the dealer needs . The buyer may not be a steady customer were the bait on order is for a regular customer so of coarse the dealer is going to look after his dedicated customer. No matter what the dealer does in this situation somebody is going to be unhappy.  

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

A business can refuse sale or limit whatever they like. 

buying bait is a luxury not a right.  the shop owner can sell their bait how they sees fit.. if they wanted to limit sales to ensure they didn't have to close his doors and was limiting sales to everyone then i see no problem..

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

johnr

Thanks Larry's baits for weighing in.  I had no idea you could prepay for bait. Always thought that it was first come first serve just as kaff ! Its nice, even refreshing to know that the bait dealers are leading the way in "honour sales". Only in the bait business do you see bags of bait and a "cash can" trusting people to do the honourable thing !!!!!! Very sincere and honest people !

James01

Wow, some people were really taking this "event" personally... you sounded quite upset John, even more so than the original poster. Larry's Baits is a fine establishment, caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Kaff exercised his right as a consumer to provide a review of service. Sometimes we don't get what we want, and unfortunately in this case, it seemed, no one got what they wanted. Kaff didn't get his bait and left unhappy, and Larry's may have lost a customer. And, John got really worked up 😉.

Thanks for the clarification Adam/Larry's, you 'do' good bait. 

• Like 1

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

levi64
2 hours ago, James01 said:

Wow, some people were really taking this "event" personally... you sounded quite upset John, even more so than the original poster. Larry's Baits is a fine establishment, caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Kaff exercised his right as a consumer to provide a review of service. Sometimes we don't get what we want, and unfortunately in this case, it seemed, no one got what they wanted. Kaff didn't get his bait and left unhappy, and Larry's may have lost a customer. And, John got really worked up 😉.

Thanks for the clarification Adam/Larry's, you 'do' good bait. 

Why shouldn't people take this personally ?  After all the post was looking for opinion and opinions are always of a personal nature. If i get up early and go fishing and don't get bait from a shop that sells nothing but bait but has reserved sales, yeah I would be pizzed. Your trip and all the planning put into it could be ruined.  Should everyone reserve bait then ?  It would be nice to see a poll on the site, to see a list of people or numbers who would honestly  just say oh well and go home like nothing happened versus a list of people/ numbers who would never go back to the shop. I think that would be interesting, maybe eye openingj, if its answered honestly. The more I hear of reserving bait the more I think everyone should just reserve bait then, cause whats the point of taking a chance  planning and packing for a fishing trip only to find you can't get bait from a dealer.  Do you have to be an outfitter or can anyone reserve bait? Just saying, it is an interesting problem.

James01
1 hour ago, levi64 said:

Why shouldn't people take this personally ?  After all the post was looking for opinion and opinions are always of a personal nature. If i get up early and go fishing and don't get bait from a shop that sells nothing but bait but has reserved sales, yeah I would be pizzed. Your trip and all the planning put into it could be ruined.  Should everyone reserve bait then ?  It would be nice to see a poll on the site, to see a list of people or numbers who would honestly  just say oh well and go home like nothing happened versus a list of people/ numbers who would never go back to the shop. I think that would be interesting, maybe eye openingj, if its answered honestly. The more I hear of reserving bait the more I think everyone should just reserve bait then, cause whats the point of taking a chance  planning and packing for a fishing trip only to find you can't get bait from a dealer.  Do you have to be an outfitter or can anyone reserve bait? Just saying, it is an interesting problem.

As I wrote, consumers have a right to speak up about the service/products they received. I just found it interesting how worked up other people got. Good on the original poster for letting people know, and good on Larry's Baits for explaining the situation. 

But, I don't find it an "interesting problem." I just find it an unfortunate situation where everyone was left dissatisfied. And why would someone take a thread like this, or the situation, personally? It was not a personal attack on anyone, or an infringement on anyone's rights. Larry's Baits was simply caught in a tough situation. 

As for kaff, I believe he still got out fishing... so, in the end, I am sure he and his friends still had a good day.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Foozer

It's April and you want to go ice fishing....

You think everyone still has full stock of bait?

What's wrong with calling ahead to make sure its there?

This is a non-issue in Dec, Jan, abs Feb.

Limited stock was reserved in extraordinary circumstances.

Too much being made of this subject.

• Like 2

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

TradD

Foozer good points and I personally have never had a fishing trip wrecked because I couldn’t buy enough bait or even any bait I just took my tackle bag and had a good time. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Larry's Baits
11 hours ago, levi64 said:

Hello levi64

No you don't have to be an outfitter to reserve bait,   anyone can reserve bait, actually we encourage it and if you tell us what time roughly you will be coming by we Try to do our Best to have it ready to go just prior to your arrival so your in and out quick as possible on your way fishing.   Please feel free to even call the evening before you head out to see whats in stock being it my shop or any shop in town i'm sure Josh & Bruce are happy to take calls or inquiry's anytime aswell    "We don't' bite"  call us up say" hey hows the minnow situation looking"   just a quick call always helps,     

Heres an example  is  it ok to come in to my shop call my worker an A##__ Hole____ because we didn't have medium large minnows in stock???     Another Example I had to ask a guy to leave after cursing my ear off because I wouldn't sell him a pound of leeches even though he offered $20.00 more the going rate

it was near the end of summer and there was a shortage of leeches so we sold singles only to everyone.  He could of bought as many singles as he liked out of the fridge but choose to tell me off instead.    So long story short maybe in those instances a quick call could of saved a few less words exchanged in anger to see what was in stock.      Anyway i hope this clears the air now and maybe we can move on to a new topic?    Like "will the lakes be open for may long lol" Whats the Almanec calling  for this summer"     anyway I hope everyone has a great spring /summer of fishing and camping enjoy the outdoors with family and friends   Cheers!

• Like 1

Red_Nuck

I take full advantage of the extra mile they go at Larry's, and it's one of the reasons I keep going back. Calling ahead for bait is great as I know it'll be there for me and it's usually ready to go to make things quick (and the after hours pick up at the gas station has been a huge help on many occasions). If they have none to hold for me then I can look ahead elsewhere if I need a certain size bait. Either way I know I'm getting what I want for that day on the water unless the whole town is out. Thank you for the consistently great service Larry's!