• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Kayaker

Thunder Bay Fishing QUIZZZ

Kayaker

This has worked well on other sites, lets give it a try!!!! Have fun :D

Welcome to the Thunder Bay Fishing Trivia Night! Order yourself a beer and sit back in your favorite fishing chair.

Here's how it works. I'll ask a question and the person whom answers correctly will ask the next question and when that's answered correctly will in turn post another question etc. To keep it within topic I suggest the questions fall into one or more of these loose categories:

- fishing

- hunting

- Canoeing, Kayaking, boating or any other means of getting to your favorite fishing hole.

- Camping

No cheating now, that includes Googling for the answers!

Here's the first question: Are splake sterile

Gone8to1248

No they are not Sterile, they can reproduce.

Bernie

Kayaker

Congratulations Bernie----- ASK the next question

Gone8to1248

If you put Splake in a Brook trout Stocked lake can it be made to be self-substainning?

Some Old Guy

No. (here anyways as most lakes are not suited for brook trout spawning habitat)

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Beamer

If you put Splake in a Brook trout Stocked lake can it be made to be self-substainning?

No,Splake are usually only put in Brook trout stocked lakes after perch show up, they are put in because they fair better with the perch than the brooktrout which usually suffer once perch appear. Most if not all stocked lakes have little to no reproduction and rely on stocking to maintain any population. Stocking ruined many native brooktrout lakes across the province and now is limited to lakes already stocked. Natural reproducing populations are very delicate and can be severely damaged genetically by stocking.

:D Happy new year Beamer

Gone8to1248

Good answer Roger and Beamer. Roger was first so it's your turn to ask the question.

Bernie

Some Old Guy

In a stocked lake should you release the larger brook trout in the lake and keep the smaller ones for the table?

Roger

GC 54

In a stocked lake should you release the larger brook trout in the lake and keep the smaller ones for the table?

Roger

It don't matter which one's you take, as long as you follow any regulations as it pertains to size and quantity and season. The stocked lakes are for put and take.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Gone8to1248

Roger

I agree with George on the point that it doesn't matter because of it being a catch and consume lake....BUT ... With what I have learnned in a short time I would but back the smaller ones because they won't reproduce based on what you and Beamer told me in your postings and that what I ave been told that the smaller Brookies are insect and bug eaters until a certain size and then they will start eating baits fish and thier own and not so much insects and bugs. By doing this it would in theory make the lake last a litttle longer. If my thinking is wrong would someone please correct me.

Bernie

Some Old Guy

George is correct. It doesn't matter. Some people believe that you should release the larger ones.... I do as I find the smaller guys taste better but it don't matter.

George, Yous be next.

Roger

GC 54

Even though other areas in NWO have large mouth bass fisheries, such as LOW, why do we not have one in this area?

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Some Old Guy

I thought Poundsford Lake in Sibley has, or was at least stocked with them at one time.

Roger

P.S. I don't know the answer but I'll take a stab at it. Sensitive trout fisheries?

Roger

Guest Dan

Largemouth are just outside of their geographical range here. They need a longer warm water season to thrive?? Just a guess.

Kayaker

Here's an idea.... Any new members registered on or after Januarary 1,2008 that answer their first question (correctly) will get two ballots ( please start answer with "new member"), than 1 ballot per question answered correctly. All members each question answered correctly will be worth 1 ballot. I will supply a prize (fishing related). Prize, time and draw location yet to be determined. Lets see how it goes.

Gord

GC 54

Even though other areas in NWO have large mouth bass fisheries, such as LOW, why do we not have one in this area?

Hey guys and gals, I don't even know the answer myself, therefore, someone else can step up and ask the next question.

Gone8to1248

Hey guys and gals, I don't even know the answer myself, therefore, someone else can step up and ask the next question.

George I did some research on the subject and would have to say it has more to do with the water temps than anything else. LargeMouth Bass have a narrow water Temp range they prefer and most of the water in your area is much cooler most of the time for them to handle. They prefer the 65-75 degree temps and when the water is in the higher range they feed up to 15 hours a day as the temps go above 75-85 range they primarely feed at night. When I lived in Wisconsin on a lake 10-13lb Largemouth were common and many weree caught in the marked off swimming area. We used to wear goggles and snorkle down and see them sitting there and being caught while people were swimming in the water. They don't seem to be very skidish when feeding.

Smallmouth prefer the cooler waters of 55-65 degrees and the bigger ones will feed with water temps down to 40 degrees. As some of your tournament people up there could probrably tell you as the temp drops down to as low as 40 degrees the percentage of fish caught are bigger fish as the smaller ones seems to turn off. This is why you catch them thru the ice while ice fishing. I would guess that the water temps in most of your lakes tend to run in the 55-65 range for most of the summer giving the Smallies a lot longer feeding and growing time. If you had a shallow enough lake with some good sand bottoms to pull in the heat a largemouth might survive in it but don't know if it could grow or if the lake would be a winter kill lake. I also would think that your lakes in the area are to fertile for Large mouth because you have trout in them.

This is only my guess based on what I read on line. Maybe a marine Bioligist could answer it better.

Guest Dan

George I did some research on the subject and would have to say it has more to do with the water temps than anything else. LargeMouth Bass have a narrow water Temp range they prefer and most of the water in your area is much cooler most of the time for them to handle. They prefer the 65-75 degree temps and when the water is in the higher range they feed up to 15 hours a day as the temps go above 75-85 range they primarely feed at night. When I lived in Wisconsin on a lake 10-13lb Largemouth were common and many weree caught in the marked off swimming area. We used to wear goggles and snorkle down and see them sitting there and being caught while people were swimming in the water. They don't seem to be very skidish when feeding.

Smallmouth prefer the cooler waters of 55-65 degrees and the bigger ones will feed with water temps down to 40 degrees. As some of your tournament people up there could probrably tell you as the temp drops down to as low as 40 degrees the percentage of fish caught are bigger fish as the smaller ones seems to turn off. This is why you catch them thru the ice while ice fishing. I would guess that the water temps in most of your lakes tend to run in the 55-65 range for most of the summer giving the Smallies a lot longer feeding and growing time. If you had a shallow enough lake with some good sand bottoms to pull in the heat a largemouth might survive in it but don't know if it could grow or if the lake would be a winter kill lake. I also would think that your lakes in the area are to fertile for Large mouth because you have trout in them.

This is only my guess based on what I read on line. Maybe a marine Bioligist could answer it better.

That's what I said.

Guest CPR

I have to agree with the temperature answer. I'm originally from S. Ontario (but have since "seen the light" and now live in Thunder Bay) and have always heard this reasoning for the L.M.B. locations.

Who's asking the next question?

Kayaker

DAN ask the next question since you were the first to answer. Please know the answer to the question you ask.

Guest CPR

How about exploring the suggested area of canoeing, kayaking or any other way of boating to your favourite fishing hole?

Guest Dan

This is probably an easy one for many of you.

How did Pink Salmon come to be introduced into the Great Lakes?