• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Synthetic Oil-Jiffy Ice Auger

Bear

Just gave the old Jiffy a treat, new spark plug and about to put fresh gas in it. I could not get my chainsaw to run, thought I should give it the once over too.

Does anyone use synthetic oil in their augers and chainsaws and if so, what type? Any other info I need to know.

Bear

Guest TerryK

I've used synthetics in all my 2 strokes exclusively for about 20 years. I'll never go back to conventional oils. You can run synthetic pre-mix oils at a much leaner ratio for more power, cleaner burning and lower carbon build up.

Every engine I own starts with one or two pulls (or kicks!) after a long storage but only because I am meticulous with my storage and start up ritual.

Here it is in case you are interested:

-Before storing and engine for the summer or winter, make sure the fuel in the tank is reasonably fresh.

-Add the recommended dose of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. (the imitations don't work nearly as well)

-Start the engine and run it for at least 5 minutes so the stabilizer makes it's way through the entire fuel system.

-Shut it down and let it cool.

-Now drain all of the fuel from the tank (AND carburetor if it is a float style carb) and fuel lines.

-Remove the spark plug(s) and fog the cylinder(s) with a good commercial engine fog spray.

-DO NOT use WD-40. WD consists of about 40% water and will slough off the cylinder walls in no time, leaving a rusty cylinder. (not good)

-Once the new season starts, add fresh fuel and oil and she will start so easily that you wont believe it!

The stabilizer bottle will tell you you can leave the fuel in the tank but I always drain it all. The reason I use the stabilizer is to keep the remaining residual fuel from breaking down and plugging the carburetor jets and passages. Water and aluminum cause corrosion and the stabilizer and draining should take care of that as well.

I've used this technique for many many years and I can promise you it works. I have a 31 year old motorcycle and the carbs look like they are brand new inside.

BTW, I do mechanical work on all types of engines and equipment, reasonable rates! (sorry, thought I'd get a free plug in there for sharing my knowledge. ;) )