• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Munshaw

Reporting Trespassing & Poaching...

Guest Munshaw

So this weekend out on the Nipigon, I was witness to several instances of people fishing in *very clearly marked* fishing sanctuaries. Namely Gapen's pool. I have pictures of folks chucking spoons standing DIRECTLY beneath a 6 foot sign saying "NO FISHING". Tried to call the MNR reporting hotline, and got an automated response which eventually lead me to the Nipigon office which was closed... So then I called the O.P.P. who responded quite quickly. The fella walked up to the edge of the bridge, saw the two guys fishing, then WALKED AWAY!!! I was stunned. I was so glad the OPP showed up to deliver justice to these guys, and he just left. I was a tad disappointed. I understand that Natives are allowed to fish that shore of the river without restrictions, but these guys were blonde hair blue eyed folks.

So my question is this: is this the correct way of reporting a crime? What do we do when the reporting is being reported outside of "regular work hours: monday to friday 9 to 5" ? Is routing through the OPP the proper way?

Also, I have some concerns with folks camping out illegally on the Nipigon R. There were SEVERAL groups of overnight campers setting up shop on OPG land near Alexander Dam, as well as on the Gas Line parking lot. I understand camping is hard to find in that area, but there are plenty of places to camp north of there, as well as Stillwater campground in Nipigon itself. These folks are "camping out" the best spots on the river, leaving garbage behind, and creating campsites where before there were none. ALL of these folks were from out of town... (Wisconsin and S. Ontario) I was stopped on the way back to Nipigon by the OPP and reported the situation, but they were all still there the next day which means they never acted on the report.

Second question: Who is the proper department to report overnight campers on the Nipigon to? Is it OPG itself, the OPP, or the MNR? Again, who would I report to outside of normal business hours?

I'm normally not a stickler for this kind of thing, but with more and more out of towners visiting, and "mini-campsites" being setup, its only a matter of time before the issue gets out of hand if we don't nip it in the bud. I've never seen this much crap on the Nip. in one weekend. Shame!

Some Old Guy

Hi Munshaw.

I'll make a call and see if I'm allowed to post a direct number.

I'll let you know.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Guest_Munshaw_*

Thanks Roger,

Would be nice to be able to get in touch with someone with authority outside of normal working hours. I have a feeling we all will be running into more of this kind of thing this year...

Guest loggerpete

I`ve given up a long time ago. If you seen what I`ve seen not just out of towners but a lot of locals doing things that boggles the mind.Could never get a response from M.N.R. and if I did it would be a couple days

and even sometimes a whole week. O.P.P. same thing,its like your bothering them.

Now I`ve had trouble with native teens around my home. I run at night and now I have to with a knife,I don`t even do that in the bush.

Nobody cares and the few that do are the ones who get hurt. Sorry to be so negative but thats how it is now.

Bill Arnott

Sanctuaries on the Nip are in effect from today forward as indicated in the regulations.

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM