• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
speckmaster

Pleasure Craft Operator's Card

speckmaster

Am I the only one who doesn't have an operator's card? What about the rest of you? Who is going to enforce this and do you think they will??

Guest Dobsey

Ive already got mine, I'm guessing they will enforce the rule if you are caught with out the card you will be fined because it is almost the same as driving a car with out a licence. Alot of stuff in the book (the bouys) though are pretty un common from what I have seen here in the North West.

Guest Zen

I got my card awhile back. Basically its just a money grab. :angry2:

Q. What if I am a commercial fisherman or have a job that requires me to operate a watercraft?

A. You do not need the Pleasure Craft Operator Card while operating your boat for work purpose (if you carry passengers or goods for hire, reward, remuneration or any object of profit). The Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required if you operate the watercraft exclusively for pleasure.

Does this mean that if I am a commercial fisherman or in the Canadian Navy for that matter I would not be exempt from the Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

Can I be fined for not having the card?

Yes. The fine for failure to have required proof of competency (such as a Pleasure Craft Operator Card) is $250 per offence.

Guest walleyeworld

Am I the only one who doesn't have an operator's card? What about the rest of you? Who is going to enforce this and do you think they will??

I'm a little confused on the requirements , is the card only for powered boats? In other words do I need one for use of a canoe? What about people that come up for a week and use a boat from a resort ? is the resort required to verify that I have the card? It sounds as though I should have one for the times I rent a boat on the lac as I know I get checked there regularly in the winter on snow machines and it's not my intention to try to skirt any laws. Last but not least where do I turn to get the card? Thanks for any help

eyelander

There were a couple of places locally that were doing the courses, but cannot remember them now. There are a bunch of online places offering it, including Bob Izumi's website if I remember correctly. I got mine a few years back, when it was first introduced, and they had a set-up in Intercity Mall where you could write the test. Didn't study for it at all really, most of it was just common sense, but some of the buoy marker stuff was a little foreign to me.

What I had read about buoys previously(my bud has a boat we use on superior, I do not) helped me. I only got a 2 or 3 questions wrong.

Or, go to this link:

http://www.theoperatorcard.ca/

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Dobsey

I know they still let you right the test at the Boat Show in the mall, and the out doors show in the golf dome as well as usually at the CLE