• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unbedable

Help with Shotguns

unbedable

I know there are alot of postings on the net about shotgun reviews, but I was just wondering if anyone in the area had any personal experience. I was looking at Cabela's Canada, and for entry level shotguns the three major ones I saw were the Benelli Nova, Stoeger P-350 and the Rem 870 all about a similar price. The 350 comes with 5 different chokes which I thought was good, and can take 2.75 - 3.5 shells. Just as my first shotgun, I was hoping for something mainly for birds, but that I can occasionally throw buckshot or a slug into incase I go for deer.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. :blink:

Guest Patch

I'm not a gun guy so I can't tell you about the Benelli or Stoeger, but I can tell you I've used an 870 Wingmaster for 20 years now and I have no complaints. Smooth action, never jams, easy to clean. It may be heavier than the others, I'm not sure. One thing though, if you want to shoot slugs through it, buy a slug barrel. It's a piece of cake to switch barrels and the slug barrel is waayyyy more accurate. I've thrown a holosight on mine and with the slug barrel on, it's deadly accurate out to 100 yards.

Good luck with your purchase!

Buck 120

I bought an 870 express 12 guage pump last year and love it. I did a lot of researching and this gun was rated among the best in it's price category. If you want a good gun that is virtually indestructible, I recommend it.

I ordered mine from sirmailorder which is now cabelas canada for I believe $339.99.

I checked their site and sale price remains the same.

It would be worth it to check locally to see if the price with taxes adn shipping could be matched.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

fishman1

check locally, im sure adrian at d-r will match the price. by the time you pay for shippingetc from cabelas you will be surprised how much more you will be paying. i bought a lcr this year at d-r and the price was cheaper than cabelas without exchange shipping duty etc. cabelas, my friend is not cheap anymore. i was there this year and by the time i left cabelas, i had spent 4dollars. there are very few deals there anymore!

Jayfishin
check locally, im sure adrian at d-r will match the price. by the time you pay for shippingetc from cabelas you will be surprised how much more you will be paying. i bought a lcr this year at d-r and the price was cheaper than cabelas without exchange shipping duty etc. cabelas, my friend is not cheap anymore. i was there this year and by the time i left cabelas, i had spent 4dollars. there are very few deals there anymore!

I disagree with the last statement. I have priced both locally and mail order. Cabela's Canada (SIR) has very good prices especially when you consider that you don't have to pay provincial tax of 8%. I have ordered from both LeBaron's in Ontario and SIR in Winnipeg and even with shipping their prices are generally better. Now being able to shop these big outlets in Canada saves us on the whole US delivery and duty issue as well. On the other hand I have frequented Bass Pro in Toronto where I found there prices not so good, but there large selection draws me in for a look. They do have some deals when they have clearance sales, which you don't generally see at a smaller outdoors store due to the difference in volume. D&R has gotten alot better over the last few years with their prices (and customer service) and I stop in there and pick odd things on a fairly regular basis. But I still shop around on the bigger ticket items. If the price is close and I can get it locally then I will buy in Thunder Bay. Otherwise as I travel alot I do buy stuff on the road too.

Thanx to the internet people are very educated shoppers and so retailers need to be more competive to survive. That's my two cents...Jay

As for guns you can't go wrong with a Remington 870!

Kayaker

I disagree with the last statment (Jayfishing) Just because you buy out of province does not mean you do not pay sales tax remember guns are tracable and they could come looking for the tax dollars.

fishman1

if the price difference is there then go ahead and buy it. i was looking for a new rifle and shopped around and local prices were very good.

Buck 120

If you order from out of province and that province does not charge tax, then you don't pay tax. I agree shop locally, but if the difference is upwards of $50 to $100 then that is a tank of gas to get you the next hunt.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Jayfishin
If you order from out of province and that province does not charge tax, then you don't pay tax. I agree shop locally, but if the difference is upwards of $50 to $100 then that is a tank of gas to get you the next hunt.

I agree! With the price of gas these days our trips in the bush get alot more costly so every dollar makes a difference these days. Whether its buying bait for a fishing trip or upgrading your boat why wouldn't you try to make the most of your money? By doing this you may get to go out for one extra day and do the things you enjoy which for most of us is spending time in the outdoors. Too each their own but I like to maximize the value of my earned dollar!

Jay

Guest BobbyIronsights
Try Le Baron, they are outta Quebec and have good deals on guns.

Wholesale sports is good too, and if you're looking for used guns, ellwood epps has a good selection, and prices them reasonably. I agree that the 870's a nice gun, and popular too, but also look at the winchester 1300, it's as good, a little cheaper, and has a nicer mag feed, a little faster to pump, and a lighter mag spring.