• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chuck

Trapper's course

Guest Chuck

Hello;

I was just wondering if the trapping and fur handling course is ever offered at the Sioux Lookout MNR office. Also, what is the status of traplines in Northwestern Ontario. I heard that there was a long waiting list; if you can get one at all...

Thanks

Guest Dave_

Good evening Chuck,

I am a Trapping Instructor in the Thunder Bay area, and there are 3 new instructors in the Sioux Lookout area who took the instructors course with me in 2005. They had granted permission to the Ontario Fur Managers Federation to have their names and phone numbers published in the semi-annual magazine, the contact names are;

Freeman (Smokey) Cole 737-1200

Tom Cappel 737-4573

Victor Ciurko 737-7504

I have not seen any trapping course published for the Sioux Lookout Region, your best bet would be either to contact your local MNR, or one of the contacts above for this info.

It is difficult to get a trapline starting out, as there is a point system in place, where you gain points from years of experience, taking a trapping course, and so on. When starting, your best bet would be to either become a helper on a trapline, or to gain written permission to trap on private property. Of course you have to have completed your trapping course, and you must have a place to trap in order to get your trapping licence. As well, you must have you small games licence, and any other associated licence or permit as required by law. I would not recommend the course for youth under the age of 15 (you must be physically able to set traps to pass the course), as well, the minimum age to get a trapping licence is 16. The course duration is a minimum of 40 hours (manditory attendance), the Northwest Fur Trappers Association charges $225.00 for the course (the fees vary from region to region), which includes a manual, and your application documentation. There is a written and a practical test, of which you must acheive above 80% on each to pass the course.

If you are interested in taking a course in Thunder Bay, please contact Patti Gresham at 935-2854, and she will let you know when the next course is, and if not convenient for you, will put you on a list and contact you when the next course is available. For more information, the Ontario Fur Managers Federation (OFMF) website has further information. www.furmanagers.com

Hope this helps

Dave Graham, Trapping Instructor, and Director - Northwest Fur Trappers Association