• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RAMBO

What type of boat would you recomend for my family and I

Guest Nick C

My family is thinking of purchasing a boat in the next couple years. I was thinking that a 16 ft Lund with a 25 hp motor would be just right. What do you think? I don't know much about boats so I need some advice. Thanks.

Nick C

arvey

a 25 for the pkg. your talking about is too small, all to often people buy these pkg's with a small motor and then find out after there isn't enough power. what ever the boat is rated for then that's what to put on or bigger.i know the price looks good with the smaller motor but soon as you load the boat with gear and freinds you won't have enough power.some may think your going to save money on fuel and you won't because the motor has to work to hard and you'll shorten the life of it.

just my opinion

arvey

Guest Nick C

Im sure your right but the only reason i said 16 ft was because its as big as we can get in the garage. as for the motor, My parents are convinced that We don't need anything over 25. But I disagree with them lol. Thanks for the advice. I will convince them to go 50-75 hp. Thanks for the advice.

Nick C

Bottom Bouncer

Nick I would first decide the size of lakes you want to fish and the type of fish you want to target. Then you will want to decide if you want to carry this boat or trailer. Do you want to fish lakes that are 10,20 50,100 km of the highway. What kind of money you want to spend is always the key. It's tough for anyone to tell you what to buy without some info. It's no different than if you were to say what kind of vehicle should I buy? Well do you have kids,do you want to go fishing and hunting etc...because a corvette might get you to the lake fast but you might not have a boat behind you. :lol: Give us some info.

REELBAIT

Guest Nick C

Er... kids you say, Nope no kids, no hunting either. 6-7 grand max, Lakes such as dog, lac de mille lac, red lake shebandowon and possibily even the big lake. Target is salmon, bass, wallye pike and trout. I don't drive either.

Nick C

Trevor Zimak

A 16 foot boat is a great lenght, especially to start. I too would agree that you should max out you horsepower. Most 16' boats are rated for a 60hp. If you are planning on fishing the big lake, its not a bad idea to have a boat that can handle some waves and get you into shore in a hurry if need be.

Your may however, need to look around the 8-10 year old range to stay in the 6-7G price range.

Bottom Bouncer

Terry....Looks like that boat might give Zimmers a run for his money, but it has no bow mount. :lol: Nick a 16 foot Bow rider with a 70hp is a classic and somewhat of an all round boat. Lots of them out there used in your price range. Steering wheel, convertible top, wind shield etc...nice package for someone day tripping to Lac etc... :D

REELBAIT

fishman1

lots of good deals out there nick, take your time when buying and you will find a good deal. lots in the states. the way the world economy is going, you will see lots of good buys.

Guest Beamer

I used a 16' Pricecraft with a 25 Yamaha for the last 18 years great outfit but a bit underpowered with more than 2 people. I bought a new deeper wider 16 foot Lund with a 40 fourstroke in 2007 and it is just right for our family. Goes good 30 plus MPH with 4 of us in it, very deep and lots of carpet on the sides vinyl on the floor for easy clean up. The fourstroke is unbelievablY good on gas and is quiet enough I hardly use my stern mounted electric any more.

P7310222.jpg

Beamer :D

fishman1

you have to start somewhere nick, and it doesnt matter what you buy, in the end you always want something bigger and better.

Guest Nick C

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will discuss it with my parents and let you all know what we decided on. Thanks again.

Nick C

Guest Munshaw

I just bought a boat in the fall - I would keep my eyes open on Kijiji and Craiglist Minneapolis/Duluth. Even if you're not quite sure what you're looking for yet, check out a bunch of boats every few days and at least you'll have a good idea what prices are like, AND what is a good deal or not!

Trevor Zimak
I just bought a boat in the fall - I would keep my eyes open on Kijiji and Craiglist Minneapolis/Duluth. Even if you're not quite sure what you're looking for yet, check out a bunch of boats every few days and at least you'll have a good idea what prices are like, AND what is a good deal or not!

One of the best site to keep your eyes on is www.boattrader.com. Millions of boats their. Mostly from the States, but you can probably find a good one in Minnisota or Wisconson for the type you are looking for. Most of the boats that are on there from the Southern States are usually bass boats.

Guest BannedCore

I bought my boat in Minnesota and it was worth it for sure. I found it on craigslist the first day he posted it. 17ft alumacraft tournament pro series with a 60hp mercury oil injection 2 stroke and shorelander trailer. All 2000 original owner basicly brand new. 2 trolling motors, flasher on bow mount trolling motor, fish finder, gps, wave breakers, stereo, 2 live wells and baitwell, navagation lights. spare prop. I got all this for $7800 us I could have sold this in T.B for way more. It definatley pays to look in Minnesota.

DJL66

Mostly I think the amount of quality used boats in the Thunder Bay area is poor. I found it impossible to find what I wanted used without spending a fortune. I bought my last 2 boats in Mn and saved alot of money compared to what they would sell for here. With that said you have to be willing to drive down and take that chance. The boat I bought last fall I bought sight unseen and took cash with me as that was what the buyer prefered. Who could blame him with todays economy. If you are patient and do not have too many wants/needs you'll find something suitable here. If not craigslist is the way to go, just watchout for the deal that seems too good to be true cause they usually are.

Don

Garbie

You need to consider your family size, how many people will typically be in the boat? What will your normal load be? How heavy is the boat all these are going to affect your decision, especially motor choice. Do you really need all the frills a higher end package offers? or can you get away with a stringer and a finder? Can you afford a kicker or trolling motor? That may change your motor choice to something that might troll better. What about fuel economy? Can you afford/justify to have a gas hog. Are you looking for a tiller or console? I think you need to consider your tow vehicle too. You probably don't want to be hauling a pro edition 18' 250 hp boat around with a car or minivan. For that matter even a truck without a tranny cooler/trailer package. I have fished quite successfully for years out of a 14' "shallow and narrow" aluminum with a 9.9hp. 3 people was the limit and even that was pushing it. Not sure about your idea of the 25 hp on a 16', even if it is just bench seats and only two of you, I think you will still be under powered. If you are thinking a boat with a floor and storage, I would say no way. I have a friend who runs a 25 on a 14' deep and wide bench seat boat and its just about right. Hope this help you sort out some choices